Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Notch filter ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lo lio, Nov 17, 2003.

1. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    Hello, i would like to know what is a notch filter and how it works. (i'm not English or American and i don't understand "Notch" :confused: )

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Imagine a parametric EQ set to a very narrow range, around a specific frequency. Now turn down the gain so you dial out everything at that frequency. That's your "notch". Usually bass players use notch filters to eq out string noise, or the muddiness that occurs in the lower midrange.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Their primary function is to kill feedback, mostly on mics and acoustic instruments.

4. For bass the most useful function of a notch filter is to combat the effects of playing live in a room with a low resonant peak allowing you to tune out that one note that is too loud no matter what. I play in one room that has a peak around lo G, even played with the lightest touch is seems to explode.

5. There is an envelope controlled notch filter on the newer HAZ labs take on the Mutron. I first thought it far to subtle to be useful but eventually tried it with a mid-rich signal and was very impressed? Nothing I hd ever heard B4 which is rare...