notch filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by d_rock211, May 5, 2002.

1. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    What exactly does a notch filter do? I was playing on a Kustom combo today that has a "sweepable notch filter". I really didn't notice a huge difference in the sounds I was getting when I played with it, so I was wondering what it was for exactly.
  2. Usually a mid scoop of some kind. My Mutron III+ re-issue has this and I never thought anything of it untill I tried a mid-heavy instrument through it. It was almost like a phaser sorty of effect...very cool. I noticed it most when using it on a drum machine. I used to diss my 'Tron III+ but it really does sound better than most.
  3. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    It's a filter (like a sweepable mid control) with a very narrow bandwidth which is not used for normal sound shaping but to attenuate specific stage or room resonaces (with the purpose to avoid feedback or 'boominess')
    This feature is often found on amps for acoustic instruments (and on my H&K bass amp...)
    If you use it right you can avoid sound problems without changing the actual sound of your instrument too much.

4. Which is why the subtlety of my 'Tron's EV style notch filter was lost on me. Sometimes you can't even notice something happening.