Notch, Hi and Low-pass filters

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Tom Baldwin, Sep 16, 2003.

1. could someone describe to me how each of these 3 filters works, the differences between them, any recommended models (outboard), and suggestions for use on the AI contra?

2. atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    I use a Fishman Bass Platinum Pro Eq in conjunction with an older model Contra (ie Contra without notch filter).

The Platinum Pro has a sweepable 'Depth Control' which cuts out the very low boomy frequencies. It also has a five band graphic eg which I find invaluable for adjusting my sound to the acoustic of different rooms. For me the Platinum Pro is a fantastic help in controlling boom and nasty mid range frequencies.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Believe it or not, I get good results with my older Contra and a Tech 21 Acoustic DI (to the PA only). The Contra has all the tone-shaping I need for onstage monitoring and the Tech 21 seems to shape everything just right so that the sound guy can just leave the board eq flat.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    After reading a great review of this unit, I picked up a Stewart UDP-1a to use as a buffering pre for my upright. It has a Bass and Treble boost/cut, but what has proven the most useful is its notch filter. It is a single knob control, and I believe that increasing the value on the knob increases both the Q and depth of the frequency being notched.

Not only has the UDP-1a helped my upright tone and helped control feedback, but it has also proven very effective with magnetic pickups. I certainly won't record without it.

A notch filter can certainly be a great tool to help fight feedback.

5. Thanks for the input, this is very helpful.