1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

note for note cover on the radio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yvon, May 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I heard this week on the radio a cover of David Bowie's Heroes.

The cover is note for note!
    I dont get it, what's the point?

You play in bar and play note for note cover I understand.

But why record a song exactly the same as the original?
    If I want to hear it, I will listen to the original.

If you make it your own, that's cool to me. Often, I like cover better then the origianl or as much,

Even if I don't like the cover, I will respect the band who try to make it sound different.

What's yyour opinion on this?

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I tend to agree , but don't really care what someone else does.

Oddly likes this.
  3. It could be a tribute and meant with respect. I always thought that there were three acceptable ways to do covers.

1.) Perfect note for note true to the real McCoy.

2.) Similar, better version of real McCoy, but without the mistakes, off key harmonies and out of tune guitars.

3.) Completely different. Think disco version of "Tequila Sunrise".

Sometimes the thought process of other acts gets lost on us and we don't get whatever it is they're trying to do. Other times we just don't like their art. We all can't be everybody's fans. I usually try to keep an open mind about artists and give them three strikes. After hearing three different offerings from them, they either make the playlist or end up in the trash. There are so many undiscovered or underappreciated talents out there that it becomes a waste of time waiting for someone who doesn't impress you to eventually do so.