1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Note from the trenches: Nathan Watts

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Man, covering "I Wish" is so easy, all you have to do is land on every note like it's the end of the world, and make your fingers dance, not move, across the fretboard. And that sliding stuff, he gives what I am sure is a carefully rehearsed impression of wild improvisation. Or maybe that's just who he is, I don't really know anything about Nathan Watts, except that he's been Stevie's musical director for some time, and that's a gig I don't think you can fake your way into.

Goatrope and Don Kasper like this.
  2. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    He was interviewed on the Ray Parker Jr episode of Unsung. They came up in Detroit together during the era when Motown was moving its base to Los Angeles

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  3. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

The chords of the (prechorus?) starting @ 0:36 are sometimes tricky.
    I believe they are:
    Bb7 / C7 / Fmin7 / Abmin6/
    Bb7 / C7 / Fmin7 / Bb7#9/
    That whole recording (2 vinyl records, actually...yes, I'm OLD!) is off-the-scale, mind-blowingly perfect in so many ways...IMO.
    A few days after D. Bowie died, someone Tweeted - (paraphrasing) "Quick! Somebody wrap Stevie Wonder in bubble-wrap. He's all we've got left!"
    Thanks.

Bunk McNulty and NigelD like this.
  4. icebox

icebox

Jul 16, 2009
    Calgary
    Nathan watts has to be my fav! Master Blaster, Do I Do, Sir Duke....the list goes on and on.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 5, 2021