1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Note in the bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ThomasG, Jul 28, 2007.

1. ThomasG

ThomasG

Jul 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    For example you see a F7 with a Gb in the bass F7/Gb. Is the correct way to simply play the Gb or do you look at the Gb as a triad and approach as a triad ?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Gb is what the bass should play. It's a Gb bass note against an F7.

3. In some instances (Bill Evans for example) you can see that it's two chords played against each other - polytonality.
    e.g. Cmaj7/Gm9, in which case you would treat the Gm9 as a full chord in its own right. I know you rarely come across this but now you know - and I still just play the G note anyway to give room for the piano player and the sound of the two chords.

4. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    In most theory texts, F7/Gb is an F7 chord with a Gb as the bass note. A poly chord would normally be written more as a fraction eg:

F7
    -
    Gb

Where it is an F7 chord on top of a Gb chord - Gb Bb Db F A C Eb

When it comes to soloing/walking over an F7/Gb, I would tend to treat it as an F7b9 but emphasise the Gb when walking.

Cheers,
    Alun

5. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 Got to look at the direction of the line it determines if a bass note or triad.

If I see a F/Gb I will probably pedal Gb and do some rhythmic thing. If chord is lasting and I want some more notes then I would look to the F triad, but keep reinstating the Gb. The writer put it there for a reason.