1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Note to everyone: Please re-read the rules and stickies!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by soulgeezer, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    As I've been browsing TB and especially OT the last few days, I've noticed quite a few people broaching some of the most basic rules of this Web site. If everyone would take a few minutes to re-acquaint themselves with the TB and OT-specific rules, we all might have a more pleasant experience spending time together here.

Here are the links:

Rules/FAQ/CUP

Off Topic Forum Rules: READ BEFORE YOU POST

ATTENTION : as of now it is NOT your right to be a pain in the ass

Current Status of OFF TOPIC, and a Heads up for you guys

There are other stickies at the top of the first OT forum page. Please see them as well.

And, let's not forget...

C'mon, people! If we just follow the rules, we can all have fun, nobody gets hurt (or banned!), and OT lives to see another day.

If people don't straighten up, the loss of user privileges, or OT itself, will be nobody's fault but our own. :(

2. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    soulpig isay, soulpig!!

3. yeah folks keep me in the house on the TB and not in the street

:D

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I was going to make a thread about this, actually. What we need is more stickies reminding us what we cannot do. I get to OT and only see half my page displaying stickies about reminders and warnings. What about the other half? There's still a lot of room.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree with SoulGeezer, as a former moderator and someone who has nothing better to do on a Saturday night than browse OT. I don't want to lose it!

6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Actually, I agree with this. Maybe if the rules and stickies were consolidated into one thread (after a certain period of time existing on their own, if they are in response to a particular event), more people would read them. Having them spread across multiple threads only makes it more likely people will ignore at least some of them, I think.

7. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    ya is that what emeritus means, you used to be a moderator. I've been meaning to ask, it's been bugging me.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Funny. That's exactly how I have fun.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Emeritus pretty much means retired. Therefore, I'm a retired moderator.

Three years of you guys was more than plenty :smug:

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. I was a mod for, shoot, somewhere between 3-4 years.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    People who won't read them won't read 1 sticky either, but that's not my point. Look at what the first few lines display:

DO NOT talk about XXXXXX

edit(jt) : and yet here you are talking about him. :rolleyes:

DO NOT BE A PITA

ATTENTION

ATTENTION

And then some sad news about a former member. This last one can be unstickied. Everybody who knew him has likely paid his/her respects. I started reading and went "oh... that sucks." and that was it. I never knew the guy.

But my main beef are the first 4 lines. It's like going up to your parents and them saying "NO!!!" without even knowing what you are going to ask and regardless of what you are going to ask.

12. No one cares what your "beef" is, really. See, we are guests here. This is a private service and therefore is subject to the owner's rules.

I, personally, see nothing hideously unfair about the rules that are in place for OT. Paul and the volunteer mods want to keep this place family friendly. Now, that means nothing to you. That's fine as well. somethingawful.com is a mouse click away.

The point here is that there are rules and they need to be followed.

13. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Actually, it's a little bit more than that. If you read the "Current Status of OT" sticky, you'll see that this forum is just a mouse click away from ceasing to exist, because of the constant and egregious disregarding of the rules by some members. If *we* don't clean up our act, this forum is going to go away.

And, there will be nothing any of us can do about it. Especially, as it will be our own damn faults.

If JT's post is any indication, the mods are - at the very least - fed up. It's not everyone, but we all know about the "one bad apple" that spoils it for the rest. Now, we don't have just one bad apple, we have a pattern of behavior that's causing the mods to think that it might be easier to just trash the whole thing.

All I'm saying is, it's up to us whether OT lives or dies. If things keep going the way they're going, OT will be but a distant memory.

So, basically, it comes down to this: It's Paul's site. The mods are volunteers, who shouldn't have to spend their days and nights cleaning up other people's crap. If they feel that it's not worth it do so any more, they'll just take the ball away and we'll all be out of luck.

Either people start acting more mature, or it all becomes moot when OT is closed for good.

It's up to us, people. What's your choice?

14. In a perfect world the mods should be bored or spending more time being involved in conversation rather than having to reprimand members all the time.

I've got my fair share of warnings and bans and yes it has made me think more about not saying certain things.

What bothers me is those who defend themselves and end up paying for it.

16. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Another reason the demise of OT might not be the worst thing that could happen... :meh:

17. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    OT is honestly where I have met TBers as friends.............

There would be much less of a sense of community without OT.

18. If I was a moderator the first user I would perma-ban would be soulgeezer. :smug: :D

19. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    The thread about whether or not OT should be closed is located here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348968

THIS thread is just reminder to people about what will happen if behaviors don't improve around here, as per JT's sticky, which is linked in the OP.

20. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    If I were a mod, the first person I'd ban would be whoever had the exceedingly poor judgement to make me a mod. Then, I'd ban myself! ;) :p :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.