1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Note to Self: Always check the gig bag before you leave the house!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Axtman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    So Sunday I show up to church, set up my music stand, microphone/stand, DI, cables and pull my bass out of the gig bag. Oh no! I accidentally brought my fretless bass!

The problem is I sing and play. Plus, I am not that great a fretless player. So I struggled through the service with a few more mistakes that usual. I did really simplify my playing and tried to play as many open strings as I could. I also rolled off the treble and played softer.

Lesson learned.

Bobro, basspraiser, TonyP- and 12 others like this.
  2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    And now your a better player for it! WTG

3. Had a similar incident happen to me so......
    I made a check list of gig items like a pilot does before take off and #1 on the list is open guitar case or bag and visually check that it's fine, strap is there with tuner, picks(even though I am not a pick playing bassist) they are actually in case our guitarist forgets his which is a regular event. Also bridge hex wrench, small screwdriver and a fresh battery for my active bass. Then 2nd is amp; head chords, cables and so on and so forth....
    The one item I hate to forget is my small guitar stand. Nothing worse than having to leave your bass leaning against your amp at a crowded no stage club during your breaks.

Bobro, marcwhy, marmadaddy and 3 others like this.
  4. Chango Malo

Chango Malo

Apr 8, 2017
    hah. I once took an empty case to a gig. I was taking 4 instruments to that gig so I just covered with other stuff. Covered the acoustic guitar stuff (empty case) with bouzouki mostly. Took some stuff to mandolin.

Bobro, Mr_Moo, el_Bajo_Verde and 4 others like this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    He'll never learn if you bail him out.

pacojas, bearfoot, Andre678 and 5 others like this.
  6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I used to work with a guitar player who seldom cleaned or changed his strings and regularly neglected to bring spare strings to gigs, knowing that I'd have some of his preferred 009s in my emergency cache. Not wanting to sabotage any of our live sets, but tiring quickly of covering for his sloppiness, I started carrying only extra-heavy gauge guitar strings as emergency spares.

Didn't take him long to shape up.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Spyrosaab, Mr_Moo, Flooflox and 12 others like this.
  7. True, but the show must go on regardless of the guitarists forgetfulness
    I still bring picks to every gig. I want us to sound our best.

Bobro, Charlzm, Gaolee and 2 others like this.
  8. I grabbed what l thought was my five string last year and ended up with a 4 on a gig where I really needed the 5 to cover some songs.

I told the bandleader the songs we couldn't do ,which were only a few, and he was cool with it.

Some of the 4 string songs l had been playing for 2 years on the 5er,and had my ways to play them using the B string and moving things up the neck.

I fumbled thru alot of the night and always check my case now to make sure l bring my 5.

9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The show will still go on if he has to use his fingers or a quarter or his drivers license for a gig. And I guarantee he won't forget his picks again. Enabling other people's irresponsibility does no good in the long term.

10. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I must be really nuts
    In 40+years of playing I forgot a strap once and my Drummer had one lol
    My gig bag never is empty and my bass gets packed just before I leave the house
    Duke

11. True and accurate but I'd rather enable than sound bad. Besides he has supplied me with cables and what not when I forgot. It's not like an every gig occurrence, just a couple times a year.

Bobro, Mr_Moo and Charlzm like this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I always do an idiot check before packing the car, both before and after the gig. I also do a final sweep of the stage before leaving.

Bobro, pacojas, TonyP- and 7 others like this.
  13. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I once took an empty case HOME from a gig. Good thing someone saw my bass in the corner and grabbed it for me and called me at home. "Hey, you left your bass here" ... "No I didn't it's right here" ... "open the case" ... "DOH!"

portpc, Mr_Moo, TrevorR and 8 others like this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    That's why I do the idiot check. I've never been light, but I've found stuff other people left. I'm not normally OCD, but...

TonyP-, S-Bigbottom and Bunk McNulty like this.
  15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Oh, I have system, for sure. But this gig was with an AEB, that actually weighed a lot less than the case I carried it in. I have two gig kits ... that are complete, and never get parted out for other things, so I always know what's "in the box". I stay organized on stage, and I count the pieces going in and coming out. And walk the stage after striking. But the "bass" counts as one piece, and I did count the bass case (for whatever good that did ... :D ). Suffices to say it never happened again!

IamGroot likes this.
  16. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s a great mistake! Do it a few more times and maybe it’ll become intentional?

JRA likes this.
  17. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    This has happened to me as well but not that big of a deal. I cant see much reason why a song shouldn't be played because you have to play a couple notes up the octave.

Take uptown funk for example. I play it 3rd fret B string but if I had to play it 5th fret A string I'm pretty sure no one would complain that much.

Mr_Moo, IamGroot and lfmn16 like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So you'd rather tank your show instead of giving the guitar player a pick when he forgets his? Holy cow... That's hardcore. And wrong. Never put the show in jeopardy.

Bobro, shirky, TonyP- and 9 others like this.
  19. ElGoodo

ElGoodo

Nov 27, 2017
    Austin TX
    I used to keep a "spare" pick just for the guitarist. One of those god awful triangular and super thick ones that won't break. After the gig, I would make a point to ask for it back. That would save the gig and impress on them the importance of being prepared.

Mr_Moo and lz4005 like this.
  20. rocklogic

rocklogic Commercial User

Aug 7, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I used to run an online music store.
    This happened almost a year ago. I became a father at the end of last year, and as most can imagine, the first two months were interesting to say the least.

In any case, I tinker quite a fair bit with my guitars, and I was interrupted while setting up one of my guitars. Decided to put in straplocks, but being an SG, the screw that I had was a tad long for it. Went around looking for a suitable one, when the son started crying and my wife was knocked out cold, exhausted from all the feeding.

Long story short, I packed the guitar in the case, and a couple of weeks later, ended up breaking a string from my main axe during soundcheck. I had been prepared (or so I thought), bringing the SG as a backup...only to find I could not strap it on!

Thankfully there were enough time to restring (a floyd rose).

Now that I am on bass a lot more, the fear of breaking strings is almost negligible (touch wood), but I always triple check the bag. Always

Bobro, Mr_Moo and Skillet like this.