Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Notebook or Powerbook? - advice please

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Slot, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    heya

Im looking for a laptop that can handle my music needs and i dont know which way to go...

....im either looking at a decent p4 notebook, or an apple 15inch power book.

My basic needs for it will be to use as a tool to take to rehearsals and uni, using transcribe!, cubase, finale, word processor etc

...which way would you guys go? .

..my old man has an old IMac, but IMO its a slow p.o.s, so i dont know what the new power books would be like....

Is compatability a pain in the ass with the macs?

and one more question - 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 <- how does this processor compare with pentiums? ......like, what would its equivilancy in Ghz be compared to a pentium processor?

anyway, thats my rant :help:

thx in advance

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The only good advice you can possibly get from TB on this is to go try some of them out. That and, if you decide on the PC, order it from a reputable site, don't waste money paying circuit city or some other retailers overhead.

Today, it's a matter of aesthetics. Anyone who says otherwise is B.S.-ing you.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This weekend I recorded over 40 tracks of live audio and MIDI data, My 1.25 Ghz. Powerbook handled it fine.

Blisshead is right though, however, if music is your biggest concern, every new apple computer comes with GarageBand which is a very amazing piece of music recording/production software.

transcribe! , finale, cubase, MS word all work in Mac OS X and seamlessly with their PC counterparts

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I currently own a PC laptop and a new 15' powerbook. This is my third mac over the last 12 years. I also had another PC laptop. Each computer has certain things that they excel at, but overall, I really prefer my mac.
    Preformance, sleek appearance, good interface and sturdy construction won me over. Plus, iTunes and my iPod are a godsend. I have digitized about 40% of my 3000+ CD collection. Having my music anytime I want is truly great and I can also use it as an extra hard drive if I wish....40GB adding to my already 80GB HD.

Downside, Macs are expensive, really, really expensive in comparison to PC's. Some things I will honestly say are over-priced.(periphials, cables etc) And, as far as I know, you really can't customize a mac the extent that you can a PC. (someone correct me if I am wrong)

But, so far the bang for the buck factor is pretty good.

The mac handles music programs very well. I would say out of all the studios I have been in (from Hollywood to Brooklyn)roughly 90% of them use macs. I have played on two major label albums that were recorded on a mac.

Nothing against PC platforms, but a mac best suits my needs.

As was said earlier, go out and check out as many computers as you can and do a lot of online research.

5. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    awesome, thanks for the info guys.

as you also mentioned dave, just about every studio ive recordered in has been based off a mac platform, and every reputable studio has been based off a mac platform. So i just guessed they were better for music applications, but i suppose its just like anything, once someone trendy uses them, its suddenly trendy for everyone to use them - so i dunno.

And WR, that garage band sounds schweet. I was reading some of the stuff you were saying about in other threads. Did you need to upgrade your soundcard to deal with latency problems? ....or were you able to just plug and play with minimal delay? - because thats something that i highly doubt a pc could do, and if apple can just plug and play, that'll be the deal clincher

One more question .......

what is the equivilance of a 1.25ghz processor in a pentium model? ...would it be close to 2ghz?:s

anyway ....thx again

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I get no delay what so ever, unless I'm using my friends Midi pickup/floorboard and outputting live audio, in which case I get a tiny bit.

I have a powerbook so there is no 'upgrading of sound card'

the equivalent processor in pentium terms, would probably be around 2-2.5 ghz, but that's rather irrelevant, especially for audio production, what you need most is a fast HD, and tons of RAM.

Additionally, the g4 processor, while it is a good processor, really shines only when applications have been optimized for it, fortunately, all the major audio apps, as well as all of apple's apps, and many other useful programs are optimized and perform very well.

If you choose to get the powerbook, you will want to upgrade the HD to a 5200 RPM model, actually, I think you can get 3rd party 7200 RPM drives(internal) but that would decrease your battery life substantially.

7. I have always found Macs to be the true artistic and musician computers. If it's your sole purpose and you have the cash try it out.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That thing is neat, but it's not going to let him record audio internally(no line in)... It'd probably struggle with Cubase too

10. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    thx for the info wr. appreciated

i just went to the store and scoped them. Garage band seems ridiculously easy to use, which is tidy, and they're so light and flat that you could play frisby with them.

I think im sold on the apple, its just a matter of whether i can justify spending that sort of money on a computer. Its costs as much as a custom bass :eek:

annyyway ...thx again for the info

edit: those oqo's are tiny :eek:

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think you should go with a Speak And Spell.

brad cook

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

That might require a higher level of research.... ;)

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You could do it via USB... That would require a break-out box though...

You're right about the Cubase having problems on it...

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Thus nullifying the extreme portability factor ;)

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I really can't see a USB type interface nullifying its portability... Besides, depending on application you're going to need something to interface.. How many notebooks/laptops have you ever seen that have MIDI, mic and 1/4" inputs already in them??? If there is one please tell me... I'll go buy one tonight.

16. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    The new G4 iBook is just as effective as the Powerbook and cheaper all around. Not cheaper in performance or durabilty however.

tk

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This is true, but what's the point in having a computer that fits in your pocket if you have to carry around an Ozone8 with you?

At least with a laptop, you could be set with just a backpack, and you get far greater performance(256 RAM and a 4200 20 GB HD are not going to get you very far with even simple audio multitracking)

A *big* perk with Garageband, is that it has software amplification, so all you need is an adaptor (1.4"->1/8") and you can plug your bass in direct and record.

btw, here is the massive track I was talking about earlier in the thread :)

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Not quite, the iBook is a pretty burly laptop for what it is, but when looking at audio production, you're going to want lots of RAM, the iBook only (physically) supports a max of 640MB, the powerbook supports 2GB. On top of that, you have the option to get a 5400 RPM HD in the powerbook which will improve performance for Garageband or cubase or logic substantially, and on top of that the Powerbook has *faster* RAM, a faster System bus and a faster processor.

19. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Guess I should have clarified... I was referring to any make/model laptop/notebook in that post not just the OQO..

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah that'd have helped :)