Notes from the road

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Michael Manring, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, my tour is well underway and things have been going great so far. I had three gigs with my friend John Gorka in the northeast before heading out to Pittsburgh for a workshop and show with Dave Cullen. Dave’s a very fine acoustic guitarist and we did a duo CD a few years back called Equilibre. It was nice to have a chance to play through some of those tunes again. I think we’re starting to learn how to play them! Tuesday night I played solo in Cleveland, tonight I’m in Cincinnati, then it’s on to Louisville, Nashville, etc. No rest for me! It was great seeing Mike Dimin in Massachusetts and I hope I get a chance to meet more TalkBassers (TalkBassees?) along the way. Please make sure to say hello if you can make it to one of the shows.
  2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    will you be making a stop in memphis?
    when is the nashville show?
  3. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm sorry to say the Nashville show was last Saturday and I won't be making a stop in Memphis on this trip. Could I talk you into swinging by one of these?

Tue. Aug. 3
    Moonlight Music Cafe
    628 Montgomery Hwy
    Birmingham, AL
    8PM, $12

Wed. Aug. 4
    Eddie's Attic
    515-B North McDonough St.
    Decatur, GA
    8PM, $12

Fri. Aug. 6
    The Grey Eagle Tavern
    185 Clingman Ave.
    Asheville, NC
    (828) 232-5800

Sat. Aug 7
    1310 N. Main
    High Point, NC
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I know John is playing at Musikfest in Bethlehem. There's not much info on that gig. Are you in on that one?

For those who don't know, John pretty much made his bones in Bethlehem's Godfrey Daniels'. It's a super place.
  5. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Sorry Zulu, I'm not on that one. I'll be doing some dates in California with Alex DeGrassi and Chris Garcia during that time period. It looks like I'll be doing more gigs with Gorka in the future, though. Maybe we'll see you soon?
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I saw the Atlanta show at Eddie's Attic, and had a great time. I didn't want to join the teeming throngs that surrounded you backstage (or, Bar-Left, as the case may be :D).

But, I really enjoyed the show and hope it doesn't take three years to get you back in Atlanta.

Have a good tour!
  7. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much for coming to the show, bassmonkee. It was a lot of fun. Sorry we didn’t get a chance to talk due to the crowd backstage (left side of the bar). After that I got into the limo (rented Ford) and went to my suite at the Four Seasons (Super 8)!

I’ve got two more show, tonight and tomorrow in North Carolina then I fly back to California on Sunday at 6AM. Lucky me!
  8. kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002

Your concert for August 19th in San Francisco is listed on your website as TBA... any venue info at this time?
  9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Michael, I really dug the Nashville show. You were excellent and took any request the audience had without hesitation.

We requested you to play covers of specific bands and you played them with excellent chordal ideas and other things that really blew my mind. You also played a lot of your own good ones as well as some off the cuff things that were very impressive. A lot of people seem to only think all you do is alt. tuning stuff, but thats only the tip of the iceberg IMO.

Sorry about my drunk friend. :)
    Guess there is one at every show, but at least he was hilarous! Many thanks for the show, autograph, and letting me help on "My 3 Moons"

Best of luck to you and your tour.....

10. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Kim, I'm sorry to say it looks like the gig on the 19th isn't going to happen. My friend Jamie Janover was trying to arrange something, but apparently couldn't work out the logistics. I hope you can make it to one of the other upcoming shows!

Thanks so much for coming to the Nashville show, as you saw I needed all the folks I could get that night! Even though attendance wasn't spectacular I had a great time and I very much appreciate you all allowing me to experiment and do so much improvising. It was fun to interact with everyone and see how I could weave together the various suggestions people had. I'd actually like to try more of that…