Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'Nother new Nordstrand!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Jul 16, 2004.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Yup, that's it...****standing up****Hello....my name is Matt and I am a Nordstrandoholic!
    I just talked with Carey today...dammit! I'm getting another one in the works. This one is gonna be (for now! :D )
    alder or mahogany body--4 string
    bolt on 3 piece quartersawn neck
    spalted maple top
    supah-thick slab o' pink ivorywood fretless fingerboard with lines and dots
    Hipshot gold style A hardware
    F Bass preamp
    Carey's "SE" style noiseless jazz pickups under pink ivorywood covers
    ....mebbe pink ivorywood THG knobs? :eyebrow:
    pink ivory nut

I think I have a pink ivory nut ! (looks down and checks drawers..) :eyebrow: :rollno:

Carey has a ton of orders right now, so it'll be a bit of a wait, but it'll be worth it. There are only a handfull of his fretlesses around, and I believe that they all have pink ivory boards. I wouldn't want to break tradition! :ninja:
    If any of you haven't heard pink ivory before, my suggestion is to do so! It's really quite different than black ebony tonally. The "Spruce Goose" has PI, and it's killin'! My first singlecut had it, and it sounded great.
    I have to give the nod and hats off to Rob Elrick for hipping me to PI as a fretless board...I had a 5er built that Thumper has now that sounded UNREAL!! (Thumper...you out there? Can you post a pic o' your bass?)
    Tropical Exotic usually has some nice pieces of PI in stock, but I think Carey cleaned 'em out!!
    If anyone wants a fretless from Carey, now's the time to get one before he runs outta that wood! To get pieces big and clean enough for fingerboards, I understand that it's quite often unavailable.
    Carey...if and when you read this, can you put up pics of the "Spruce Goose" and my fretless SC w/the fretless PI board so that people can see what it looks like?

2. Hi!

Congrats!
    How many CN basses do you own?

Saw you will add a F Bass preamp! An other F Bass lover who's shy to tell it! ;)

Bye
    Vince

3. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    This is #2 that I presently own, but I've had 3 others over the years....all excellent but very different from one another. My present SC has a Smith 3 band which is wicked!! Really a great match with his Fat Stacks, but I love the F pre as well, so this one should be equally as great. My first SC4 fretless had the HazLab from Fodera that IREALLY wanted to like, but couldn't get there, so I swapped it w/an Aguilar OBP3, and it was nice, just not really hot output wise. Anyway, those were my choices, not Carey's, so I'm the one to blame. I really think this one will be excellent! :D

4. Nice!

You're lucky to own one of them....
    Would love.....

Bye
    Vince

5. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    A little update...
    I was at Carey's shop today, and I changed more than a few specs! It's gonna be...
    Singlecut 4 string
    alder body
    RIDICULOUS spalted maple top
    5 piece q-sawn neck with black veneers seperating the 3 pieces of maple
    stabilized birdseye maple fretless fingerboard with walnut lines
    black hipshot hardware
    the new Smith 3 band 18v preamp with the dip switches for frequency tweaking
    Fat Stack pickups under birdseye maple covers

I saw Rob's new 4 string myrtle burl bass...really a kickass bass! Super-punchy with the mahogany body and jazz pickups.
    His new personal spalted maple bodied bass that he had at summer NAMM was just beautiful to look at and play!

The new batch that's coming along looks beautiful! If anyone who has a bass in the next upcoming batch is into spalted maple, then you may want to have Carey send you a pic. He has 4 boards of some of the sickest looking spalt that I've ever seen! The only piece that I've seen in this ballpark is the Sadowsky bass that has been sighted here on TB...anyone here have a pic of that bass around? If you do, can you post it?

6. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    What about the knobs?

Roger
    THG

:( :smug:

7. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Another Nordstrandoholic here...Congrats Matt. Still loving your 1st fretless :D ...and I have a few more Nordies to hang around here :help:

8. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    I want one!!!!!

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @jacochops,

On the new Smith pre, what are the settings available on the dip switches? Are they on the bass, mid & treble?

Does it have a passive option?

Does it have the series/parallel for each p/u?

How about a single or humbucking option?

I'm just curious since you prefer it over the F-pre.

thanks,
    ~S~

10. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    :D

I owe you an email.....

* sorry to derail *

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats Matt.....AGAIN! :p

:D

12. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Yo...ROGER!!
    I almost forgot...my bad!

It's gonna have THG knobs in birdseye maple with (I think) an ebony dot on top. Either that, or a set just like you made for my koa Nordstrand!
    ...don't worry, I didn't forget ya when I was putting the order together with Carey...it's on the order sheet!
    ...can't have a Nordstrand without your knobs!! By the way, did you ever get your Warrior you were waiting for?

13. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Devilman,
    As far as the Smith pre goes, it does have an active/passive push-pull on the volume. I am not sure of the dip switch settings, but as long as it sounds like my present Smith pre with some added tweakability, I'm good with it!
    As far as series/parallel, it is an option, but I'm not getting it with the switches, since I like the way the Fat Stacks sound without any additional hullabaloo! They're singlecoils wired so that they don't make noise.
    I'm not a tech guy...I just play the tar out of 'em!

14. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Sorry...last reply!

HMan,
    Please take care of my chestnut fretless! That is a great bass! I'm now playing a neck that has a bit more thickness front-to-back; that bass is rather thin at the 1st fret. But oh, the sound of pink ivory! That would be my only change to this bass before he starts construction...pink ivory instead of stabilized maple.

Jay.
    Thanks man! My next one (after this one! :D ) is to have you get another 4 string from Mark Eshenbaugh like the one you just sold. Man, was that thing gorgeous! :eek:

15. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Mine is up for the next batch!!! Woohoo!!! Can't wait!!! :D

16. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Hey Matt, Did you get to check out my SC5 that is in this batch?
    I has a Camphor Burl top and a Flamed Maple back.
    Should be ready soon! :hyper:
    Dan

17. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Yup.........

And I licked it! :D

Beautiful top....it's gonna be the bee's knees!
    FWIW, are you getting the Fat Stacks? Far and away my favorite pickup, especially teamed up with the Smith 3 band....deadly pinch! I just got back from playing my Nordstrand in church through my Walter Woods Ultra, and it sounded really sick!! I can't get enough of that tone!

18. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I ended up going with the dual coil and a Fbass preamp. It was a
    hard decision. I hope a made the right choice! :meh:
    The specs on your bass sounds great. Looking forward to a
    pic of that Spalted Maple! :D
    Dan

19. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA

Dan, I'm getting dual coil and F bass pre in the near future too....the beauty of it is...if you are not happy, Carey will take care of that. ;)

20. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    Hey, chops,

The Warrior will be here in a few weeks. At that point I will get cracking on replacing all the metal with wood. It will be sweet when finished. I'll post pix when it is done (even though it is a guitar, not a bass. Is that allowed?)

Roger
    THG

:hyper: