Nothin Rocks like Nintendo!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Sep 30, 2004.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I don't knwo how many of you sit around downloading tunes from the classic 8 and 16 bit videogame days(ahh the memories!), and then try to figure them out, but ther eis band called the Minibosses that does nothing but NES song covers- they have some really really cool arrangements and are coming out with their first studio cd this winter. I'm excited. I'm pretty sure this makes me a geek. Does anyone else like, or even know about them? Their site is
  2. I heard of them, but never listened to them. I'm personally a big fan of The Advantage. They're another NES cover band, with a huge library of NES songs under their belt and great musicians (including a sick bassist, Carson Mcwhirter). Check them out as well
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    whooaa.. that site looks like an old, glitchy nintendo cart'.. haha. Good stuff.
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I love the new trend of video game influenced bands. I think the "kids" these days call it "Nintendo-core." The moniker makes me cringe, but the music's great. The NESkimos do Nintendo cover songs too. I like their rendition of Double Dragon and their Zelda stuff is classic. I believe MTV even had a little blurb on them at one time.

The Minibosses' MegaMan 2 mix gets almost daily play from me. Great nostalgia.

And I like Stemage who do "Metroid Metal." (

I'm a huge RPG fan and thus a game music fan. I love how far game music has come. Some of my favorite video game music comes from the Ys series; the music by Ryo Yonemitsu and the Falcom JDK band is great. The versions of those games for the Turbo Duo were on CD with Redbook audio so during the SNES days, Duo players were getting CD sound while we were enthralled by the MIDI stuff of Nobuo Uematsu's classic Final Fantasy 6 soundtrack, and the debut of Yasunori Mitsuda (who later scored Xenogears) on Chrono Trigger.

Music is a huge part of the gaming experience. I can't imagine Super Mario Bros. without that classic theme music. I just can't. I loved Streets of Rage's music too. Boss. Among more recent RPGs, I like the simple, yet very cool and effective, bassline in the song "Brain Hopper" from Shadow Hearts.

When I noodle on my bass I try playing stuff from Phantasy Star 4 and other RPGs.

I could go on forever about game music but I'll stop now...*whistles One Winged Angel (the final boss music) from FF7*
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I love video game music, I have remixed 3 final fantasy songs and am currently working on 2 more. I would love to be in a band playing video game music. Some of my favorite game soundtracks are Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy X, IX, VI and IV, Chrono trigger, Final fantasy mystic quest and Super mario world.

edit: Here are the three FF tracks I've redone, or remixed.Final fantasy vi overworld, The Phantom Forest(vi) , The place I'll return to someday
  6. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco then again let's do the Mario, Hey oh! Erm ya...

I agree so many good tunes in video games growing up, I agree w/ Dincrest, Those legend of Ys tunes were great. Especially back then since it was CD quality while other systems were doing midi.

Also Agree with you Wrong Robot, Final fantasy has some great ones too....Japanese RPG's + music = all your base are belong to us.

Hmm i feel motivation to re-record video game tunes brewing
  7. why download it when i have all the cardridges right here :D hunt ahhh what first console was the nes, the mario/duck hunt package...i still have it..i was actually playing zelda the other day.....

but i know this is a little diferent but i think grand theft auto vice city has the best soundtrack for a game ever :D ..nothing beats killing drug dealers while listening to michael jackson
  8. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Oh yeah, nothing can Beat It :p
  9. well maybe listening to rick james while running from the cops, yelling at the tv screen "im rick james bitch" lol
  10. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hmm seems my thread strayed a little and ended up as miscelleaneous.. oh well. :D
    I noticed that The Advantage is playing teh bluebird here in Denver in Novemeber... that should be fun. Now if I could just get this tricky Castlevania tune down.
  11. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I think you may of missed the pun Heath. I'll give you a hint 'Beat it'.
  12. Back on topic, who else thinks NES songs would be fun as hell to play live! Listening to The Advantage, it just sounds so fun to play live with a full band. I've learned a few of their songs but some are hard to decipher. A lot of it revolves around scales and octave riffs (a la disco).
  13. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    right-o jenderfazz! I figured out a couple dozen videogame tunes, and when I first start on them it always seems uber difficult, but in the end, most of them are simple scale/octave progressions that I would be able to pick out faster if I knew my scales and arpeggios a little better. Japanese composers have really mastered the art of arranging simple things to sound quite complicated.
  14. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    According to an interview with the NESkimos, here's one thing that makes playing a lot of the early 8-bit stuff fun and interesting: For example, the dungeon music in Legend of Zelda (and a lot of other 8-bit compositions) had no drums, so the NESkimos had tons of fun coming up with complementary drum beats that would enhance the song. I think drum beats were lacking on the older consoles given the limitations of the PCM soundchip, so the interpretation of "how would they have done this were drum beats able to be done on this soundchip" is cool.

I'd totally go see Minibosses or NESkimos live. Boo yah!
  15. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    yah, there are some very stiff limits to programming music on the original NES's sound processing abilities. I read a large article on composing for it awhile back, and frankly. it is amazing what they were able to produce given the really crappy tools. Many of the NES cover bands do their own arrangements of the songs, and add fills and harmonies to add to the texture.
  16. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I've always wanted to hear a band do a good version of the original Zelda theme.
  17. kubacki

kubacki Guest

May 24, 2003
    Brunswick, Me
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I knew a bassist who played a really nice arrangement, 2 hand tapping, of the zelda theme.
  19. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I know Minibosses and the Advantage. Pretty funny odds, I've always been a big fan and collector of NES (175+ carts) and just happened to live in the two cities those bands are from. Aaron from Minibosses played one of my guitars when they were on Tech TV and Carson from the Advantage will be taking one of my basses with him on their upcoming national tour.