1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

nothing new at Summer Namm?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stefan Okon, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Hello?

Pictures, reports or anything?

Stefan

2. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    OK, here's one cool bass that was at NAMM. It's a Gretsch "Billy-Bo" Jupiter Thunderbird Bass. It's got a chambered body, so it's light and very comfortable.

The photo is not me. It's Phil Vickman, who runs a store (Gretsch dealer) called “FAT TONE GUITARS” located in Northbrook, IL.

3. Any sitings of that white Yamaha iPod looking bass???

4. I went on Sunday, and was a little dissappointed at the lack of bass stuff there. Saw and played an Epifani UL 112 and it sounded really nice and was much lighter than expected.

Played the new Peavey all tube (appx 300 watt) head that only weighed around 20 lbs due to the switching power supply instead of a transformer and liked it, but the smaller less expensive version (appx 200 watts) was so heavy I couldn't lift it without the "both hands-knees bent-back straight" litany.

There was one product I saw that I was interested in and it was a guitar cord that the jack ends were held in place by magnets so you could plug it in and if someone caught their foot on your cable it would disconnect without shorting out or pulling the bass over, likewise you could plug several of the jack-ends into your basses and "snap" the cord on each if you wanted to switch basses and there wasn't any popping noise (it was like muting the cord when yoo disconnected and connected. Don't know what they wanted for it though.

5. The guitarist in my band saw that and bought one on the spot. I don't know what he paid.

As a lefty, I checked out some new Ibanez lefty basses in the SR500 series. Note that they have Bartolini pickups and mahogany bodies:
    http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM07/Content/Ibanez/PR/Left-Handed-SR500.html
    I liked them well enough, but I'm not in the market for a new bass right now.

Everybody in my band liked watching the demo of the Digitech Vocalist Live 4:
    http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM07/Content/DigiTech/PR/Vocalist-Live-4.html
    It was a pretty cool demo -- that little box added male harmonies, female harmonies, and at one point it even made the guy's voice sound like an old blues singer.

6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Yep, saw that bass, talked to that guy. He was one of those I referred to in my NAMM thread. The bass is not available lefty. I was a bit concerned with the bridge, didn't appear to be adjustable for intonation.

7. notdavey

notdavey

Nov 2, 2006
    Seattle WA
    The Summer NAMM show is dying animal. (I work for a music software company and we nixed the Summer NAMM Show after it left Nashville). Tons of companies have pulled out from the Summer Show. Most manufacturers are focused on The Winter NAMM Show in Anaheim so expect to see more new products in January moving forward. This is unless they can save the Summer Show.