1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nothing says "I'm from the eighties" more than the guitar I just got via a trade.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blazer, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay, what defines a guitar from the eighties?
    - A fast paint job
    - A pointy shape
    Well this guitar I got from trading an amp ticks both of these boxes and then some...
    Pointy.jpg
    First of all, the upper picture doesn't do the color justice, as in real life it is a deep shape of Candy Apple Red.
    Second: NO WAY is that its original bridge
    DSC02195.JPG

DSC02198.JPG My guess is that it had a Kahler at one time.

But the replaced bridge isn't the only issue
    DSC02197.JPG
    The break is fairly clean though, that will be fixable
    DSC02196.JPG And you thought your Fodera contrabass had a deep rear cutaway?

So what DO I have here?
    - A "Death dagger" but not an original Hondo.
    tz7odckj6fgw8srgnxkf.jpg
    Because what I found out about those is that the Hondo's didn't have an angled headstock like mine has (Note the string trees) The shape of the bevels is different and real Hondo made death daggers have set in necks, rather than neck through construction like mine has.

Does anybody know anything about a brand name called KliraCort?

Because that's the only clue I got from a sprayed over name on the headstock.

So anybody have any idea what my death dagger is?

2. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I think this may have been the original bridge... the "Precision Tune vibrato".

3357d8e921270f6.jpg

edit- That is, assuming yours came from the same place... Beginning to think it may be a foreign copy of a Hondo H-1, or a "lower end" model from Hondo, lacking the bevels... still hard to determine that. I also note your TRC appears to say "EB' or "BE' and a number...no luck there.

Also, I think Klira Cort was an 80s hybrid of Cort and a recently acquired Klira, after the golden years of German Klira production.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    catcauphonic, dmt and foolforthecity like this.
  4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert

5. WillyWonka

WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    Dude! That is so sweet!

6. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    It is anything but a lower end model, the construction is so much better than any Hondo I ever encountered and it can't be the kind of bridge in the picture you posted because it doesn't have the back rout to facilitate that kind of bridge.

7. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    My bad... I tried.
    Good luck.

8. I think the bridge would have been more the one in Wraub’s second post of the purple guitar. A Kahler or, more likely, a Kahler copy. I’m not an expert but I do love old, weird Japanese guitars and KliraCort is a new one. I know Klira, from the German company and their cooler then Hofner Beatle basses but I doubt that came from them, at least from a German Klira. Obviously, I’ve heard of Cort and some permutation of one of their brands is much more likely but I don’t know any specifics, sorry. Cool guitar, though. Just be sure to wear safety glasses so you don’t poke an eye out. :D

Keep us posted on the repairs.

9. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Whatever it is, it's so hideous it comes full circle back to awesome! I approve.

10. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
  11. Allan Allan

Allan Allan

Mar 25, 2018
    That neck is in pretty sorry shape.

12. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    You'll poke the drummers eye out kid!

SactoBass likes this.
  13. Seems suitable as a target when using a heavy caliber gun.

ChrisBowsman likes this.
  14. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
  15. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
  16. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    The American Association of Proctologists has recommended that all their members keep one of these in their reception areas, right next to the patient sign-in sheet.

danesdad and SactoBass like this.
  17. that br...., dare I call it a bridge.... omg. good luck! super glue that neck and go bridge shopping....

18. worst trade i never made: as a kid my 1965 guild freshmen hollowbody garage sale steal wasn't cool enough so i almost traded it straight up for a pretty generic neon green bc rich warlock
    those are a dime a dozen and that guild got me through some really rough times

design likes this.
  19. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Guitars are weird. I’ll just stick to bass

Rebel Rocker and SactoBass like this.