1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Notre Dame Cathedral on fire in Paris

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Knavery, Apr 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    This is so sad. They started building that in the 12th century, and it was finally completed some 300 years later. It's been through a couple other restorations, but this fire... I don't know if there will be anything left.

2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Was just there six months ago today. :(

3. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I was there around 10 years ago. So sad.
    [​IMG]

Axstar likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    :bawl::crying:

5. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Roof's gone.

6. Speechless, I was there a few years ago and my wife and daughter were in Paris in Feb. What a shame :rollno:

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Terribly sad.:(

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It's an amazing place. This is very sad. Amazing how a mostly-stone building can still be wrecked by fire.

MattZilla likes this.
  9. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Very sad.

- John

10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Was there on my honeymoon back in '98.

Such a beautiful place-so sad...

11. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Very sad, and at a very unfortunate time in the Christian calendar. I've visited Notre Dame, but I can't get my head around the scale of the destruction. All I can think is that Windsor Castle was rebuilt after a massive fire in the early '90s. These buildings can be restored where there is will and a way.

Tbone76 and DaveDeVille like this.
  12. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    That's what I hope to see happen. But it should be rebuilt using the same materials and construction techniques. I hope they were able to get the artwork out.

hrodbert696 and Axstar like this.
  13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Not sure what to say about this. It's a horrible event.

Tbone76 likes this.
  14. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I saw a report a short while ago that the art work and relics had been removed, but I can't find that report at the moment to verify whether it was from a trustworthy source. I hope it was.

TinIndian likes this.
  15. :atoz:

16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There was a tweet saying that a priest had reported the artwork had mostly been saved. I haven't heard confirmation, however.

The whole thing is a horrible tragedy. But yes, buildings can be rebuilt, and I'm thankful not to have heard of any fatalities resulting from the fire so far.

Tbone76, T_Bone_TL and TinIndian like this.
  17. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    just hours ago before flying to Italy my bud was in one of the old hotels mere feet away sharing wonderful pics on facebook of the Cathedral's upper areas and to think it's all gone now is hard to fathom.

18. This is heartbreakingly sad

19. It will be rebuilt. Many ancient buildings have seen fires, bombings and are still there. Even if nothing happens time takes its toll and Notre Dame has been worked on in the 19th century. Some pieces of art however are los, presumably.
    What really sucks is that a fire during restoration works should *not* have happened.

20. It's awful to even think about. I hope that there enough people around anymore who know the proper techniques to restore it.