1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nov Jazz Fest in Cape May NJ

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by Lady Kayri, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Just found out dates for the November 2009 Jazz Festival in Cape May, New Jersey (Very southernmost tip of NJ) will be 6 - 8 November. More info as to who will be performers, etc. when I find out. The hotel I work at has a meeting room, if enough of you come down maybe we can get together and talk shop or something; if not let me know anyway as I'd love to meet some other TBers. Just PM me and let me know if you think you might be able to come... Next one after this will be sometime in April 2010; haven't heard dates yet but they should have them up soon...

Pat

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    We've never been down there for the jazz festival and were planning to taking our 12 year old son down there for the Spring one next Saturday. There are some bands featuring teenagers playing at Carney's that afternoon and our son, who just starting playing in his middle school jazz band this year (first trumpet as a 6th grader :D), thought it would be cool to go see them. Unfortunately, his travel soccer team recently signed up for a tournament that weekend and we had to scrap those plans.

Good to know there's another in November. Soccer is a fall "sport of season" so odds are good we'll have a conflict for that one as well, but I'll still make sure I check it out. Thanks for the info!

3. Will update as I find out more. There are usually at least one or two jazz / blues bands playing down here on weekends; Carneys and the Boiler Room at Congress Hall being the main venues. Once I find out more about who they're going to have show up in Nov, I'll post; they just appointed a new head person for the Jazz Festival group/committee, so maybe things will improve a bit; they changed personnel about three years back and the new people didn't do much to get 'name' acts; lots of disappointment for some of our regulars as a result.

4. Here's the info on the November Jazz Festival. Participants include the Count Basie Orchestra (I gotta get to that one! I'm a big Basie fan!), Richie Cole Quartet, Radam Schwartz Organ Quintet, Barbara King, Gary Allegretto Quartet, Alan Weber & Frenz, Ravi Coltrane Quartet, Houston Person, Denise Thimes, Teddy Royal & Organ Trio, Memphis Gold, Dominic Farinacci, Edgardo Cintron & Inca, and Frank Bey & the Swing City Blues Band (that's the band my sensei, Joe Blong, plays with...) Looks like this is going to be a good Festival. Haven't found information yet on the instruction sessions, but there are two jam sessions on Saturday from noon to 4pm at Carney's.

PM me if you want info on the hotel I work at (we're one of the least expensive of the beach front hotels), or check the city website, I think they list most of the local hotels. If you are coming down, send me a pm anyway, I'd love to meet some of you (especially Sat afternoon, I'll probably be done with work by 3pm or so) and talk (bass) shop...

Pat

5. I'm in. If you have never been to Cape May... this is a great excuse to go.

6. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    I use to play at the Shire every weeknd a while back in Cape May ,is it still there i remember it being in a strip mall type . i think it was next to a bar called Gaslight, plus i was at the first CMJF.

7. No, I think the Shire closed quite a while ago, probably there under another name; I've heard the name mentioned by some of the folks who have been here awhile. I think the Gaslight is still there but now has a new name. You know how the joke goes about knowing you've been around to long when you can remember 7 names the place you've been playing at has been named over the years... Pat

8. Checked with one of the guys at work who's been here for quite a while. The owner of the Shire sold the liquor liscence to the Virgina, and the resturant to someone else; it's now a resturant only, not a bar, and the name has changed. Only Gaslight bar or resturant he remembers was in Wildwood, not Cape May; and it isn't the Gaslight anymore...Lots of other such facilities; the Ugly Mug is still there, Carneys is still going strong, and now we also have the Boiler Room at Congress Hall, the C-View not far from the Lobster House as well. There's all sorts of other resturants etc in Cape May, but most of the others don't really have much in the way of live music.

9. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    I did,nt think the Shire would still be there, that was many gigs ago when i was still green. We recorded many times there i think the owner name was Wayne. The Ugly Mug is the one that i was thinking about , the Gaslight was another club i played a while ago.

10. If anyone is interested, the info flyers are now out for the Jazz Festival. PM me your snail addy if you would like me to mail you a copy of the flyer.

11. Just a reminder, if anyone is interested; the Jazz Festival is THIS weekend!

12. y'all missed a great Jazz Festival. Update for April 2010 - planned headliners: Spyro Gyra!!

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I would have loved to have taken my son down there but his weekends are always taken up with sports. I showed him there were bands/performers that are in school or college and he was interested in seeing them. I checked some of them out and there were some talented kids there!

Spyro Gyra in April?! I'll have to check the dates, but I'm expecting the same conflicts we've had the last several times I looked into it. :(

14. They haven't confirmed Spyro Gyra, I was just told; but several of our JF guests at the hotel said they were informed the group would be here by some of the JF committee people during one of the Saturday night shows. I'd rather have Hiroshima myself, but on the other hand, Gyra sure has more national recognition than Hiroshima does... Wish you could have made it, too. Would have enjoyed talking to you. Especially as the NJ GTG has been postponed...*Sigh*