1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

novak bs-ds into '64 (fender replica) jazz bass routing question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by idlechrome, Feb 22, 2021.

1. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Sorry if this question is redundant or dumb. I've searched and still haven't found a real answer from anyone dropping a BS-DS into a fender jazz.

I plan on placing the pick up in the neck position - The bass is true to 1964 fender specs, but my concern is routing. Am I going to need to do a lot of it to make this pickup fit in there? Is it terribly difficult to do yourself? I have never cut into a guitar, but I don't think I'd have a problem from other experience.

Thanks in advance & apologies for my noobness.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Jazz pickup = thin rectangular hole.

BS-DS = wide rectangular hole.

So yeah, some wood removal will be required. No biggie.

idlechrome likes this.
  3. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Thanks for the reply. I figured as much. Wanted to see if dropping it in was at all possible.
    I don’t care about cosmetics whatsoever, but Still may do it on something cheapo first.
    Cheers (P.S thanks for that diagram on another BS-DS post. I bet it’s helped countless others)

ctmullins likes this.
  4. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    luckily, the routed area will be under the pickguard.

idlechrome likes this.
  5. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Exactly. So even when the cut is bad..... it’s perfect :bag: I am master-luthier-craftsman. hear me saw-r
    Thanks again

ctmullins likes this.
  6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It has been done…

upload_2021-2-23_13-47-32.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-23_13-48-20.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-23_13-49-31.jpeg

blacktocomm, RyanKinBK and idlechrome like this.
  7. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    :drool: .... Oh yeah, that I know for sure. Those look awesome. Would love to try playing a tractor, too.

I found a lot of info on electronics & saw way too much eye candy. Just couldn’t find many details from others on the routing process. Ex: how much bigger it was/how long did it take/etc.
    Def at ease & all good now.

Truthfully........ I want a Serek lefty, but can’t for the time being ($$$). Always wanted to do this + more experimenting w/ electronics, so, here we are.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Out of curiosity, how big is the hole required for one of these beasties please? If I were to get some I'd still get the template, just interested in seeing how much wood I might have to remove. Cheers.

idlechrome likes this.
  9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    This image is from this thread: Darkstar PU's in a custom bass

dsschematic-jpg.jpg

Depth needed is approximately 25mm, give or take, depending on the geometry of your instrument (string height above the body plane).

idlechrome likes this.
  10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Thank you very much.

ctmullins likes this.
  11. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Youre the man!
    You’re the man ! This is great. Just got my tracking # for the Bs-ds & the LZNB90 Is coming sometime next week.

Probably gonna spend my time waiting by taking off the paint/poly where I plan on making the LZN-B90 cavity & widening the BS-DS one.

the HB PB-50 neck came EXTRA bowed, but with a couple turns it was fine. Surprisingly sounds very good stock. Not as bright as I want for maple neck+flats, but I believe thats the string difference. Compared it to my 20’ MIM P & was pleasantly surprised. I swear by floppy TI Flats (Works for what I’m doing/want). Despite having Dunlop’s on the HB & TIs on the MIM player - they sounded equally good In separate ways... I believe The HB may be the tiniest bit fatter With tone rolled off. Once again: possibly strings.

Big price difference there though. Build quality is obviously different, but I don’t think THAT much moneys worth difference. Still love it though.

Think when I’m done turning this thing into -almost- a jazz bass w/ the VVT Config, it’ll be on a diff level. It’s comfortable enough to play. Neck doesn’t feel as chunky as some people have said.... but everyone’s different.
    What feels chunky to me may be small to others, etc.

But all in all, very excited to see this turn into something odd for my recording process. Specially for the price & learning experience.

ctmullins likes this.
  12. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    May I recommend routing the pickguard and the body at the same time? Just makes it easier to line up instead of guessing later. I did just that.

idlechrome likes this.
  13. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Ended up putting it in another bass BC didn’t wanna mess up.... but I am definitely throwing 1 into a jazz soon with a different bridge PU for extra bite. Will keep this in mind for sure - thanks

14. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Just hope the bridge pickup can keep up with the output if you want them to be even. My darkstars are the loudest passive pickup i've ever come across. My DS'd jazz is louder than my active stingray!

idlechrome likes this.
  15. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    That’s one thing I was worried about so I made sure to make sure there was a lot of space b/w strings in case I needed It. So far so good - really like the tubbiness of it. I think if I have a gritty bridge PU I can combine with it then it will really Shine.

2 of em must be dub madness. I like the DS a lot - not as much low end sometimes can be right when needs to cut through... Curtis definitely knows what’s up

16. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Forgot that I Just ordered the P-90 for my p bass too... be here Monday. still waiting on. The serek b-90 ... haha I’m goin heavy with the recording & writing to finish this project I’m doing so I need all the weird stuff out of my Basses I can get.
    thanks again

17. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    My DS'd bass definitely doesn't lack low end. I just dont think a standard single coil would keep up.

18. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Oh no I don’t mean it does - just compared to the bisonic. Not by much... it’s still EXTRA big lol you’re right. Def not even comparable

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021