Novation Bass Station II or Arturia MiniBrute 2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by soundsupport1, Mar 30, 2022.

1. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Thinking of getting a small synthesizer. I know the Novation Bass Station II is popular around here, but I'm also attracted by the feature set on the Arturia MiniBrute 2.
    The prices are nearly identical, too.
    Which would you recommend? Has anyone here tried both?
    novation_bass_station_ii_monophonic_1000889.jpg

13068816_800.jpg

Peace,
    SoundSupport

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE!

Mar 31, 2010
    I've never tried the Bass Station II, but I own the original MiniBrute - this guy:
    minib1.jpg

If the sound of the new MiniBrute 2 matches the sound of the original MiniBrute, then I give it a ringing endorsement!

350125g0 likes this.
  3. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    I like the sound and workflow of the Minibrute 2 over the Novation, myself. I find the Minibrute 2 more fun to "explore" on.

Also that patch bay can be a fun entryway into modular too, just in case you're looking for even more music-related hobbies to spend a depressing amount of money on. ;)

4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    You should check out the Novation Mininova, too. It's got a really cool arpeggiator and vocorder.

soundsupport1 likes this.
  5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE!

Mar 31, 2010
    I got some excellent gnarly synth-fuzz (suitable for rock), open/closed hi-hat, big clap, and 808 bass tones out of my MiniBrute yesterday. I do wish it had presets, but i knew it was an old-fashioned throwback analog monosynth when I bought it, so I'm cool with no presets. A HUGE deal for me is having full amp and filter ADSR, and the MiniBrute has sliders for that. It really helps me precisely shape the tones I want. And I'm basically just getting started!

Being a synth guy, I'd still love to try the Bass Station II, the Moog Sub Phatty, the Korg MS20 Mini, etc., but I'm perfectly happy with the MiniBrute. Of course, a lot of it depends on the features you're looking for, but purely on sound alone, I'll say it again:

If the sound of the new MiniBrute 2 matches the sound of the original MiniBrute, then I give it a ringing endorsement!:thumbsup: