Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Novax Fanned Frets!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brendan, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've talked with Dave (Pushic, www.dpcustom.com ) and after a rather short amount of time (thanks Novax for quick response), I'm same to say I'll be getting a Piezo Novax Fanned Fret system on my Custom 6er. I was actually impressed by not only Bass Players comments on the B (on a Dingwall), but the Novax site, www.novaxguitars.com offered quite a bit of theory behind the fanning of the frets...

Over all, I'm pretty happy to go with the Novax...a 37" B...man, that B is gonna rule. Course, then Dave'll have to angle the pups, but a lot of manufacturers do that anyway...

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...to bad it'll be a few months before I get it orderd, then another few few months (up to 10 weeks, according to the website) before I can get it...oh well, it's in the works, at least.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So, what does one do in this situation concerning strings? Are 37" B strings readily available?

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    That's a great idea for your custom, Brendan.

Just curious - how much more would it cost to install the fanned frets to your custom DP?

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    @ Bass Guitar- Only about 100 extra! I was really surprised that it was that cheap! Well...a hunderd more to the price I already had scoped out, so I'm not sure about the flat out cost...

And Superduck, du to the varying scales, you are pretty much limited to Dingwall strings (and maybe Novax if they make them. Other than that, I think you just have to order a bunch of single strings...

6. Welcome to the 37" B club, I must say if you haven't played one yet you will be impressed. I have a DIngwall 5, and am getting a 6 as we speak (8 month build time slows things up though). As for string, I have only seen dingwall strings for a 37". Oh, and what is the scale length of the other strings? The Dingwall is 37, 36.25, 35.5, 34.75, 34, 33.25, that is B to C. But you will love it, oh andwhat are the specs, ie wood, pups?

DingZ

7. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Woo! I had been thinkin of asking Dave if he could do Fan Frets, but now you've saved me the trouble. I might just have to save for a DP Fan Fret fiver now.. I already have all the other specs spec'd out (something to do when I'm bored is to spec out customs, read about bass electronics, hardware, and woods, and spec out my dream rig...) I just have one question... Does anyone besides Dingwall and Novax make the Fan Fret bridges, or do you have to buy them straight from Novax to get a custom Fan Fret?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am sooooo glad you asked!:D

6 string:
    -Fanned Frets (I was going to have 35" untill I found out Dave'll do Novax)
    -Alder Body (possibly Ash)
    -Pau Ferro fretboard
    -Maple/Wenge 5-piece neck
    -Two Bartolini Triplecoil humbuckers wired Series, Parallel, and Phantom (single)
    -Novax Piezo bridge (for a total of over 22 pickup combinations)
    -Bart HR-5.3 Harness +buffered blend for Piezo
    -Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    -Deciding between AAA Western Flame Maple and or AAA Quilted
    - Matching headstock veneer
    -18v power
    -Wide string spacing
    -Black hardware
    -24 Medium frets (Or, whatever works best with Novax)
    -Nuetrik Locking output jack
    -6 pots (Volume, Volume, Blend and Bass, Mid Treble)
    -4 switches (active/passive, Two switches fo the Triple coils, and a variable mid center switch that comes with the HR 5.3, at 250, 500, and 800hz)

Now all I need is money...:)

9. The Dingwall bridge is listed as a Dingwall/Kahler 6000 Grade aircraft aluminum bridge, so it is possible that you could getthe bridge from Kahler, I suppose. Also I believe that you could use a monorail bridge, cause it would be 5 individual bridges on a 5 string, so you could put them whereever you wanted. But I have seen other Novax instruments (Conklin, and another but I can't find the magazine with the magazine in it).

Hope this helps

DingZ2

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn...Dingz...how would you describe the bridge? Like in terms of mass and durability. It's it lighter, made of thin metal, or a big ol' beast like an AMB bridge? If it is indeed possible to find a higher mass Piezo for the Novax, that would be nice. Of course, if it's already farily tough and high mass, then I'm set...

11. I will describe the bridge as best I can. It has an aluminum back plate which is slightly recessed into the body. the back plate is attached with allen key bolts (4, they are about 1/4" shafts with .5" heads) through the body. The saddles are attached to the back plate individually, somewhat like a monorail bridge, except onto the aluminum. I believe that the saddles are steel and are black anodized. Each string runs across two polished metal knobs that are indepently adjustable. I have never seen another bridge with the same string attachment mechanism, it is a metal ridge that comes up on the bass side of the saddle with a small steel rod that is the same diameter as the inner diameter of the small cylinder things on the ends of the strings, and the cylinder just slides onto the rod. The bridge is definitely heavy looking, but with the aluminum backplate this may be somewhat deceiving. But the bridge is bigger overall than an ABM (like on the Cirruses). I can take some pics tomorrow and post them if you'd like, and I also have a pick of the same bridge with piezo saddles, I was considering this on my new one, but don't have enough experience with them to warrant the extra cost. But I didn't really check the price, do you know what a typical piezo upgrade is worth by chance? I guess I could call Dingwall.

Hope this helps

DingZ

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...Man...:confused:

just take some pics!:)

13. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    :eek:

Sounds like it's going to be a beast of a bass!

14. Here is the pick of the piezo bridge(Note the goldish piezo transducers).

15. Here is the pick of the piezo bridge(Note the goldish piezo transducers). I'll get some picks of mine up soon.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dingz- Thanks for the help! Those bridges look sturdy enough for my tastes, and with those gold saddles...classy. Nice bass, by the way.

Bass Guitar- Beast. Yeah. Hell yeah.:D