Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Novice changes strings -- and survives!"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sampoerna, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    I guess my husband got tired of me talking about the condition of the strings on our instruments. :) He took me to a local music store and bought some strings for both of us today. I was intending to wait for a setup and get the strings then, but I went ahead and tried some Darco extra-light gauge. I know lots of folks don't like 'em, but I thought they were worth a shot. I also asked the advice of the store owner (a really decent chap) and told him how I was just starting out, wanted something fairly inexpensive, am interested in playing a wide variety of music, and that I didn't slap. :)

On the way home, I stopped by MegaloMart for something to polish the fretboard while I had the strings removed. I was intending to get some mineral oil (same thing as bore oil), but took a spin around the wood care section. After comparing tung oil, boiled linseed oil, and the mineral oil, I settled on Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment instead. It seemed the least toxic/flammable, easiest to apply, and would do some cleaning at the same time. I've read that lemon oil will dry wood eventually, but I've seen many luthiers and woodworkers recommend it. Perhaps the process for making it has changed over the years? Regardless, it removed a lot of gunk from the rosewood, restored the moisture, and now it feels/looks great!

I've never changed strings before, so I followed the directions at <a href="http://www.bassplayer.com/gear/install.shtml">BassPlayer.Com</a> -- and both the bass and I survived! After that, I set it aside for awhile and looked up information on setting the intonation. I dug through the search results here and followed <a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2674">Mr. Turner's instructions</a>. I had to move the bridge saddles away from the nut quite a bit (my last strings were not unlike suspension bridge cable). It worked beautifully -- <i>Thank you, Mr. Turner!</i>

Whoa! I feel like I'm playing a totally different instrument. I loved my bass before, but now I...I...<i>really</i> love it. The prior strings were too thick for my tender newbie paws, and pretty dead-sounding, to boot. I kept the old strings intact just in case I need a backup or if I feel like trying them out again later. The Darco's are punchy, but not too bright. I dig 'em. I'm sure I'll test some different strings next time, though.

I know many of you do the same thing twenty times a day, but I'm just proud of myself for doing it on my own (with the help of the 'net) without any injury to myself, the instrument, or my surroundings.

And, best of all, I learned a great deal in the process. :D

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're welcome!

wow, i actually helped somebody :D ! cool, good for you, and congratulations, on changing your first set of strings, quite a milestone. believe it or not i still remember the first time i changed my strings, 16 years ago. or was it 17? ;)

3. Cirrus

Cirrus Guest

Apr 30, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    There must have been an inch of goop built up on my strings before I changed them for the first time. Sick, I know... ;) Since you've moved the saddles around you might want to take your bass to a luthier and have the intonation set correctly. I had both of my basses done in about 20 minutes for $18.
    By the way, if you like a nice light string, you might try D'Adarrio supersoft XL's. The E string is a .95 gauge... They're all I play and I don't slap either. I just like thin strings with a bright tone.

Peter

[Edited by Cirrus on 11-21-2000 at 02:34 PM]

4. amatshoew

amatshoew

Nov 22, 2000
    I was sans-D string for months before i worked out how to change strings. And even then I waited till something else broke before actually changing the rest.