1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Novice/Intermediate Budget Amp --Combo vs. Other

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zsamot, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Zsamot

Zsamot

Jan 7, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

I am in a bit of a pickle. I would like to upgrade my current amp, a Crate Bt50 too something with more volume, lots more.

I am unsure whether to get a combo (Fender Rumble 350) or get a separate head and cab (A lot of options for Heads, not so much for cabs.. Peavey's).

After doing some research, I have come to the conclusion that I should be looking for the most power (watts?) as possible.

My price range is 600 CAD... and I am in a three piece band (guitar and drum). We jam in a basement that admittedly doesn't have the best acoustics, but the amp I have now doesn't cut through. I would like it to retain a smooth Marcus Miller / Ben Kenney (incubus) sound which I have been able to get at low volumes with my Crate, that can cut through at higher volumes.

Any advice?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Used... Something used. Troll the GFS here. I might consider a GK 400 or 700 and then some decent older cabinet. You might need to add another cabinet after you get out of the basement. Rigs featuring a ton of power are in vogue. Lots nd lots of gig's have been played on the old gk 400 though. For $600, you hve to accept that you are not gearing up for a Rush rour and so there will be some limitation.

I wouldn't ignore the local Craigslist ... Particularly for the cab. There are good sounding but old, large and heavy 2x15's available on a daily basis on our local list. Generally cheap as nobody want's to move them. Snag one and install it in the basement never to be moved again...

3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, a 215 or (even though I'm not a fan) a 410. Then as powerful an amp as you can find with the remaining bread.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's speakers you need for volume, and combo amps usually compromise there. Any good bass amp, 300+ watts will do, but get a biggish spkr cab to pump out volume.

5. I'll recommend the combo I've got... TC Electronic BG250.Priced right, loud, light, and great tone..

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021