1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Novice Playing and Renting in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SAJAHE, Mar 26, 2013.

1. SAJAHE

SAJAHE

Mar 26, 2013
    Hey, I am new here and was hoping some of you could help me with a couple of questions.

I have never officially performed with a double bass (I've played around a little), though I perform every weekend at my church with a bass guitar (sometimes fretless). This week for Easter, my church is bringing in a mandolin player and a banjo player. I think having a double bass in the mix would sound awesome, but I have some questions:

With the minor experience I have, would I be able to perform with only about four days of practice?
    Is it possible to do weekly or single month rentals in the Atlanta area?

Thanks for the responses! I hope I posted this in the right area.

2. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I am pondering a rental myself in Atlanta. I know Ron Sach's violins does rentals. Not sure of the terms. You can do a search online for his shop. I haven't played upright yet so I can't help you with anything else.

3. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    You are the only one who knows if you can perform with the limited practice time. Much depends on how fancy the bass part needs to be. The rest depends on what you call playing around a little. My guess would be given your experience on bass guitar and a working knowledge of the double bass, you probably could play with the mandolin and banjo. Give it a try. You can always go back to your regular instrument if the first practice says it won't work.

4. If you're not sure about, I would say don't try winging it. Put your best foot forward for the performance, if that means playing bass guitar, then go for it.

I'm a doubler and play both bass guitar and double bass. Though they share MANY similarities, they're really two totally different animals, and getting to a point of proficiency where you're comfortable playing out in front of a crowd takes practice (more than a few days worth).