Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Novice question about tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Feb 17, 2005.

1. OK. Some of the music I like is hard rock and nu-metal... like Chevelle, Nickelback, etc. What kind of 5 string bass would be good for that? I think the Chevelle guy plays a Fender but for some reason I just don't want a Fender. Suggestions?

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think Joe Loeffler plays a Bongo 5 string currently... but hell if I know man. You can't go wrong with a Music Man bass though. But there's tons of options, no one bass is "right" for any particular kind of music.

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    What kind of price range are you looking at? Under $500? $500- $800? $800- $1000? $1000- $1500? more?

ESP may be a brand worth checking out. I believe a decent amount of metalcore bassists use ESP/LTD basses. Not too pricey, but with a good reputation for quality.

http://www.espguitars.com/basses.htm

But I'd go for a Stingray. Why? Those basses are reputed to be built like tanks and can withstand a lot of abuse. And given that metal, hardcore, heavy-music gigs are the types of gigs where your bass is very likely to take some abuse, you definitely want one that's built to last.

4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    There is one word...

and that word is 'Spector'... ;) :D