Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Novice Question Re: EMG 40DC P/U's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's the situation: I have a "new" used bass which came with active Barts and volume / pan / tone rolloff controls. I find the tone to be satisfactory but also a bit dark. The bass also came with a pair of pristine EMG-40DC pups utilizing some sort of EMG preamp (model VMC?) which includes stacked volume / pan and treble / bass controls. The bass itself has four control holes, any of which can be blocked with a "dummy" pot if necessary.

Heres' the question: Are either the pups or the preamp worth a damn in terms of tone or noise, or should I consider a different preamp to complement the EMG pups? I've heard that EMG preamps are noisey.

Here's another question: I understand that the EMG pups themselves are active and can be used successfully with conventional passive tone controls (Steinbergers use two volume controls and one tone rolloff control). Will the EMG-40DC pups accommodate this configuration?

Thanks for your indulgence!

Riis

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you can use EMG's with passive contorls, but they reccomend the use of 25K pots instead of 250K or 500K. I have not heard a lot of noise issues on an EMG preamp, and with proper shielding, I'd think you'd have no problems. If you don't like the EMG's, though, I have a conklin that would really like having some new freinds...:D

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Drop the pupis and pre in. On my Spectors the EMG pre is quiet - no noise even with the treble cranked. YMMV though.

Ray

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Follow-up: I took the hardware to my local shop and found that what I actually have is a preamp layout consisting of separate volume / separate pan, stacked bass and treble, and stacked mid-EQ sweep with boost/cut. I'll have to check the EMG site for schematics as one of small boards has DIP switches.

Thanks to all

Riis