1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Now $450! Kevin Kaufman modified Kramer Ferrington 6 string Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by moonshinegtrs, Nov 26, 2017.

1. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Price:
    $500.00
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    I dropped the price. I am also considering parting this out... If you may be interested message me.

This is an odd one... Sorry in advance for the long story.

This originally belonged to an TB member, not sure if he is still here, not that is important.

It was originally a Kramer Ferrington Acoustic Electric Bass, a cool design from the 80's. The original owner had it modified; from documentation that I have, he had Kevin Kaufman (a NY Luthier known for his work on Jaco's basses) construct a six string lined fretless neck (maple with rosewood board) that would fit into the stock neck pocket on the Kramer Ferrington body. He then made a six string bass bridge and fitted it to the body. A EMG BTC preamp (I believe) was installed (18 volts) along with a Kaufman designed under saddle piezo system using two Martin Thinline systems. The string spacing is narrow at the nut and the action is low. The bass uses low tension Thomastic Infield Acousticore strings (I will have to go back and confirm but I believe this is correct).

The story behind me ending up with this bass is somewhat humiliating as it was originally sent to me as a project, but after a very long period of time I paid the customer a set amount and kept the bass. I will not go into details other than It was completely my fault.

This was a number of years ago; I went through a very dark period in my personal life and it took a number of years to recover from it (in some ways you don't recover completely) Still that is not an excuse for not doing something you promised to. I let the guy down and I still feel bad about it.

The amount that I paid the customer is a lot more than what I am asking for this bass. This is a really cool bass but it will always be reminder of this time in my life and my failure to follow though with a project (I was to convert this bass into a wide spacing five string resonator bass).

The bass currently is not assembled (neck is off and tuners are removed), everything else is assembled and it comes in it's original (and freakin' huge) fitted hard case. I will be glad to put it back together if you wish.

I'm not looking in any way to make a profit off of this. I would really like for someone to take this and enjoy playing it, it is a cool bass.

I'm asking $450 (was $500) (or best offer) shipped to continental U.S. only, I hate to think what it will cost to ship it (I'm thinking $100).

I am open to trades as well... I've been looking for a Hartke Kickback 12 or 15 (the newer version) or other small lightweight bass amp or a small tube guitar amp or ???

100_3584.
    100_3585.
    100_3586.
    IMAG0197.
    IMAG0199.
    100_3668.

Moonshine :bassist:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

I really admire your integrity and ability to share about past hardships. If I had the money I'd buy it in a heartbeat, it sounds like you've gone through long and winding journey and this bass is a part of that.

moonshinegtrs likes this.
  3. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I will say that life has improved substantially. I consider myself blessed beyond measure.

Thank you.

Moonshine :bassist:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    GentProvocateur likes this.