Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

now before i go digging around in the back of my computer...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    How do I plug my bass into my soundcard? The back of my computer is kind of hard to get at so I want to know what I'm suppoed to be doing before I go back there. Is there going to be a 1/8" jack anywhere? I am totally new to recording of any kind. Thanks for any help.

2. There are many variables to this question, so I'll answer in a generic way - first get a DI box to go between your axe and your PC. Next get a cable that connects the output of your DI box to the LINE input of your PC sound system. If it was my rig, that would be and XLR out from the DI to a 1/8" mini plug to the LINE in of my motherboard sound circuit. This is NOT how I do it at home - I use a Behringer DI box to a Mackie mixer then from the mixer to an external A/D converter to the S/PDIF connector of my motherboard sound circuit. Good Clean Sound

3. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    now if i dont have a DI box can i just go straight to the soundcard?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You can with some of the newer soundcards but not all. Mine can't. I have to run my signal through a pre-amp to boost it to something that can record at a decent level.

Perhaps you can post some details about your soundcard, software etc.

Also have a read of this:-
    http://www.computermusic.co.uk/basics/basics.asp

5. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i have a 1/4 jack-1/8 jack-cable (had it made) running from the line out on my combo to the line in on my PC.
    you only have to activate the line in on your PC in sounds-advanced in your configscreen.

works great.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If your soundcard doesn't have a pre built in, you can get software that provides "software amplification"

Amplitude live is the name of it I believe.

7. i would suggest finding an aplifier with an effects loop built in. the reason being that you can use the "Send" jack to run the signal from your amp to your computer or mixer, and you'll have a better sound, because your signal would be the very same as what would be sent to your driver section and sent to your speaker. Its also cheaper for me, because people pay ****loads for all-tube recording preamps, and i just use whats in my mesa.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You lost me here, man.

That kind of plug-in (which is a guitar/bass amp modeler) isn't much good if you can't provide it with a decent incoming signal. You know the old saying, crap in, crap out? You might as well just increase the volume of the recorded wave in an audio editor. That will sound quite bad too, but it will be cheaper.

And Amplitube Live is a stand-alone app. It's kinda tedious trying to incorporate those into multitrack recording, IME. Better to get the plug-in version in that case.