1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Now from Elvisland, Mississippi

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Monte, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Hi to all my TB Friends:

Long story short, the division of the computer manufacturer that rhymes with Hell that I was managing moved back to Austin, and I was thrown into managing in Consumer. After 3 weeks it wasn't for me, so I accepted a position to manage a wholesale florist in Tupelo, MS. I had forgotten what fun dealing daily with the 3rd world in Ecuador could be:)

The music scene here is much worse than what I had in Oklahoma, so I'm doing lots of woodshedding and hope to eventually get plugged into some gigs in Memphis, which isn't far from my place.

I did meet a decent pianist and drummer, so with my contacts with party planners at my day job, I should be able to get some trio work for the society set.

Pretty location around here. The worst is that Mississippi has some $%^#& alcohol laws, and the beer selection here is a joke.

I hate that I won't get to see any of you going to the ISB this year in OKC, but I'm sure it will be great.

Monte

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Good to see you back, Monte. I was wondering where you went...

3. Hey Monte,

Looks like we're neighbors. I live about 50 miles north, just across the TN state line. PM me some time and I might be able to connect you with a guitarist in Corinth. He is affiliated with a few folks from the Mussel Shoals AL area. I jammed with them some over the summer but usually just slowed them down. You would probably be able to fall right in.

4. Good to see you back. I wondered what happened to you, as well as a few other older ( in terms of time put in on TBDB ) of my favorite posters.......
    Not to de-rail, but, it's seems things have quieted way down with the DB side of TalkBass......or, is it just me?
    Good luck, Monte!

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hello, I'm Mike, your regional homebrewing recruiter! You have been identified as a prime Suthun' candidate for brewing your own fine craft beers! :hyper:

Good to see you back, Monte!

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Sounds great!! I was hoping to hook up with some Mussel Shoals guys....pretty easy drive from Tupelo. Corinth is an easy drive for me as well as I live 3 blocks from 45.

It would be a drive for some of them, but I should be getting some GOOD paying gigs in Oxford and Columbus areas.

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas

Yep!! As soon as we buy our own place, homebrewing is my TOP priority, much to the wife's chagrin......but the fact that I can't buy ANY IPA's in this state, no Impy Stouts, no Saisons, no Trappists, etc makes life very tough and EXPENSIVE as I've already shipped in a case of stuff I'm slowly nursing. I will probably "bootleg" some stuff from Memphis as well. I understand TN has a decent selection of Belgian stuff.

Monte

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Hey there's a cat who used to post here named Scott Reed (maybe he's still a member?) who lives in Memphis, you should try to chase him down.

9. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Thanks, I did that but he said he is not really plugged into the Memphis scene. After Valentines I'll try making some sessions up there to get my name out.

Gives me some time to shed anyway, which I haven't been doing enough of.

10. How are things going, Monte?