now funko wants a fretless!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Mar 5, 2001.

1. ok i really want that L-2500 buttttt i think i want a fretless more, any recomendations for a fretless, i'm thikin fender four string amer.deluxe jazz..anybody have any experience??

I'm also not 100% yet on whther or not i want a four string instead of the five that i'm used to.....DAHHH!! decisions decisions..and i cant spend enough money to get a double neck so whoever even thought of posting a picture of one of those leave my mind alone!!!

please help me!!
  2. i don't know what it is but i didn't like the feel of the fender fretless jazz. ended up buying a fretted instead. G&L makes fretlesses if you want to compromise.

3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX poor, poor, misguided child...;):D:D
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nah, theres nothing wrong with playing fretless. I actually MUCH prefer fretless to fretted; for tone and enjoyment! But, its not practical in most situations i play in. But, im getting one anyway. I absolutely love playing fretless.

Funk, you better hope you have some good ears to be doing fretless so early. Why do you want one, anyway?
  5. i dont know i just really like the feal of them, i find there really expressive, not that fretted isnt, but i love the sound and feel of fretless, maybe i'll get my L-2500 first and then a fretless. hell maybe i should get the money first and then worry, but then i'll have nothing to dream about!!!!! and yeah i'm thikin the L-2500 would be more practical, although i could use the fretless a fair bit in church, and i do have good ears, i've been playingmusic since i was 5 or so.

6. I dunno. My fretless seems appropriate in every situation *I* play in. Haven't had any major difficulty, in any case.

Feb 12, 2001
    How about something different from your plain old fender jazz bass

sorry to stir anything up but i think they are very overrated
    unless you can find one at a good price,

why not get a fretless 5 string fender jazz?

ive played them and i just cant get use to them
    maybe its the action, or the chintzy bridge

or maybe i'm just spoiled

as for sound not working in certain situations

I play in a Jazz/Metal band and i only play fretless up until now i was using a big ass yorkville setup (yikes) but then i got the cash togeather and got a Euphonic IAMP 600
    i got 2 cabinets from them, and i have a monitor that i sit to the side of me in front

and it cuts through rather nicely the guitar players in the band are unruly jerks sometimes and crank it, but i'm still able to get through what they dish out (sometimes i overpower them)

it's also how you play a fretless (IMHO) you can play loudly or softly
    but if you want a good example of a bassist that plays pretty much every style of music then go listen to Sean Malone (Gordian Knot)

anyhow im outta here

8. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    My Warwick Streamer Standard fretless is amazing. Ebony board, killer tone for a passive bass, and very budget friendly. I didn't want to drop a lot into a fretless because I thought it would be my "second" bass. I like it so much, though, that I use it quite a lot, far more than I thought I would. I've owned three other fretless basses over the years, and this one is far and away my favorite.
  9. ahhhhhhhh i dont know what to do!!!! hahaha, and no one here even deals warwick(in my province!!!!) so i'm probably not gonna be looking there for a bit!
  10. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Sorry. While ignorance isn't necessarily bliss, too much information can sometimes be a bad thing.
  11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I just realized how strange it is that I love the Jaco tone but I've never been able to convince a Fender to make it. I guess it's the flatwounds they ship 'em with, but I just can't get one to feel good.

Now, that Robelli, on the other hand... If you're lookin' for something nice and affordable, see the thread on this one. Is sCam cAsh in your... province?

In any event, you will NOT be sorry you got a fretless before the G&L. It will open up so many doors for you, you'll forget about the G&L... at least for long enough for your piggy bank to catch up with your GAS.
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Fretless doesnt generally lend itself to heavy heavy rock! Hey, i did it for a couple years, but the extra attack from the fretted REALLY helps; not to mention i dont have to stare at the neck with fretted. But, i cant wait to get another fretted soon!
  13. i keep playing that G&L in my local store and i love it so much, i havent found a Fretless i like as much as i like the G&L L-2500, so unless i find one before i get the cash it'll probably be the G&L
  14. If I were you Funk, I would get a cheaper fretless bass to decide if you really want to play it or not. Some cheap ones you could get include: Yamaha RBX260 (I have one of these, they are great for the money), Fender MIM Jazz Bass, and those Corts. It would suck to get a fretless and realize you dont want to play it. Get something cheap and then save up for something better if you really like it. Just my 2 cents.
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why not make sure you want to play it BEFORE you buy, also?
  16. yeah i'd make sure i wanted one before i bought one anyways, and thanks all for your comments. I think i'm gonna go ahead and get the G&L before i get a fretless if i keep the one i already have maybe i'll get the frets ripped out of it, who knows
  17. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Been eyeing Cort Curbow 5 Fretless myself.. All nice and syntethic.

If you want to go cheap, Yamaha BBN4F is nice.
  18. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    also funk:
    something no one else mentioned.i have a G&L myself i love them.what i did was get a fretless neck something extra to think about.that way you have the bass you LIKE when you want it.:D and when you feel the need to change just put the other neck on.good luck. :)

and remember as always rock till ya drop !!!!!!
  19. thanks everybody for all your ideas and rooster do you mean you have two different necks and you attach the one you want when your playing?
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a pair of fretlae.