now here's a singlecut that doesn't look like...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pilotjones, Jun 23, 2003.

1. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    ... a Fodera copy. It's an Atlansia.

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hmm. That's a new one. It doesn't seem to be on the website.
  3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    That's very nice! Kind of a cross between a single cut electric and some kind of funky upright!

I'm really intrigued by the pickups / electronics. My ownly criticism on first look is the input jack looks a little "clunky" or out of place.

4. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    It's only on the "order made" page.
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Wow. Weird but strangely GAS-inducing... I want one. :)

I guess "Order made" is "Custom shop" ?
  6. Bunnybass sold one similar a while back. For the curious, here is a link. There's some interesting information about the company too.

Atlansia from Bunnybass

Stay Low, (E? B? F#?)

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    The neck pickup looks like it has those 'Norelco' triple action jobbies on them... Interesting bridge, piezo?

What this GAS-indusing gem go for?
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My first thought was "that looks like a sculpture by Jean Arp."

My second thought was "That bass must be made by a European Luthier."
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Clearly, it's not designed for slapping, but that wouldn't prevent me from getting it.

What is all that stuff between the pickup and the bridge? In particular, the black tube thing sprouting from the pickup.
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    It almost has a Jerzy Drozd look to it's headstock.

I think it's cool as heck.
  11. Weird but nice! Stick an endpin to it and it almost seems like you could play this baby arco! :eek: :cool:
  12. It looks like an object of magic... :eek: I've never really liked Atlansia's but I guess they're about as 'cult' as you can get...

The black tube coming from the pickup is the electrical wire from the pickup. It seems to be running on the outside because you can probably adjust the pickup placing. (see those holes between the pickup and the bridge? Parallel to the strings?) Now that's innovation! Or just plain weird.
    'I like my pickup at the neck today... well, maybe later tonight I'll put at the bridge again. Nah, maybe a *little* more toward the neck...' :D

13. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    The hardware on that thing looks to be chunky as all get out!
  14. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    My goodness! A piece of perfectionist art/engineering of the highest order! I'm not sure how much fun it would be to play, though, for me the pickup is kind of in the way and the strings are way up high off the body.
  15. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    The pickups can be rotated individually, to give different sounds when parallel or perpendicular to the strings, or in between.

I had been trying to figure out about the pickup wire and the extra holes in the body (since I don't read Japanese!). I think Easy Rider's guess that the pickup block is movable might possibly be right.

"Order Made" does seem to mean "custom shop," judging by the peoples' names attached to many of the models there.

I'm guessing that that massive tailpiece has some kind of fine-tuning mechanism in it. It's also possible (Atlansia has done this) that it could have a per-string whammy.

I think the closest other bass to this in shape would be a LeFay Pangton. I think I like this even better, it flows very nicely. And I really love the bird-shaped soundhole!
  16. this is the best thing on the site...

anybody ever see
  17. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sorry? To my understanding Gitarre&Bass is a German magazine, if you were referring to the title. After all, the cover is full of text in german..

But the bass is fairly interesting. Looks like it's made to be an upright you can play strapped on too, judging from the bridge system and two small legs at the end.
  18. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry, don't like.