Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now here's a tough one.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Which one would/should I get next?

A New Stingray 5.
    or
    A New Warwick Thumb(BO or NT[not sure yet])

And if possible, what bass could nail both of those tones?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Damn that is a hard one.

Stingray for looks, but the Thumb for tone. If you can handle weght, go with the stringray, but i played one a while back and the low B wasnt anything too crash hot. If you go with the thumb, get the bolt on. Thats just My opinion :D

3. I love the tone and looks of both.

It's a dead even tie. From my perspective.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id get the Warwick.

5. I love the look of wood :)

6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Try both and decide for yourself, what we think you should get is irrelevant, afterall it will be your bass.

But if given the choice, I'd get the Warwick Neck-Thru.

Peace

7. WARWICK THUMB 5 NT!!!!!!! WARWICK THUMB 5 NT!!!!!!!

8. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    warwick nt 5

9. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater

i prefer the SOUND of wood....:bassist:

10. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I'd go, and have gone, for the warwick Thumb bolt on.

I never really did like stringrays one the few occasions I tried them.

11. I could have sworn he said something about which bass look better. He must have edited it on me :)

12. warwick thumb 5 neck thru!!!!!!

13. houstin, we have a smart one :p

14. lol :spit: :meh:

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    "houstin, we have a smart one" - Define: irony

Kirby, I pretty much disagree with every thing you have said.

Both are good basses, trendiness says go warwick, I'd reccomend taking some time with both of them and see which one is more "you", very different animals.

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    i think the thumbs look silly but they sound nice. they are very different animals though. i like the feel of the ray better. if i were going to get a thumb it would be fretless but thats just me. hmmmmm get a stingray... the sound of metal! :D

17. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    They are basically the same. But the thumb i think is like curved which may be good or bad. Also my teacher had a stingray and he sold it becuase it was too heavy, but warwicks are also heavy. Your choice, but i favor the thumb NT

18. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    They are basically the same. But the thumb i think is like curved which may be good or bad. Also my teacher had a stingray and he sold it becuase it was too heavy, but warwicks are also heavy. Your choice, but i favor the thumb NT

19. Well, the tone differences come from different woods, and pickups, and pickup placing.

The shape doesn't affect the tone as much, me thinks.

I need to go to some place other than GC and play both of these for an hour, and choose one, but luckily I will have plenty of time, considering I probably won't have the cash to afford one of these untill christmas.

Hmm, I smell a possible christmas present!:D :cool:

20. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've owned bot a '97 NT "wenge" Thumb and a '95 Stingray 5 in the past. Of the two I'd go with the Thumb in both looks and sound. Though if given an option similiar to the Stingray 5 (*cough* Sabre *cough*) I'd choose a G&L L-2500 (sweet)for both looks and sound.:bassist: