now i am one of you....

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bibby, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    i just got me a double bass. now i can hang with you guys!

well, to clarify, i've had a double bass for a while but it was in unplayable condition. thanks to you all i found the bass cellar in cincinnati and after a few short months they got me all fixed up!

i had my first practice the other night and i think i'm going to be hooked! i put the electric in the case so i can focus. this is gonna be fun!

a quick question... how do you all store your bass? right now i just have it propped in the corner (not on the scroll), but i'd like to get a real stand for it. something that will show it off a bit when it isn't being played. not just a cheap metal stand but not a high dollar piece of furniture either.

any recommendations? pictures, possibly? i wouldn't mind seeing your basses either!

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN

Welcome! Glad the boys at the Bass Cellar got you all fixed up and playable. You'll find them to be a valuable future resource.

I keep my German carved bass on its side most of the time. I'm afraid of it taking a tumble otherwise. I personally would never prop it in a corner for the above stated reasons.

I do keep my Englehardt in a stand, though. I use a simple metal stand that is completely hidden behind the bass. Anyway, check out Lemur. I know that they offer a couple of stands. Give them a call at 1.800.246.BASS.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I keep my carved German bass propped in a corner facing out, with the scroll and neck not touching anything. I drove a hook into the corner at about where the neck meets the body, and use a bungee cord to secure the bass to the corner. Not even my dumbest cat can budge it now.

Welcome to Talkbass.

4. One goes on a stand, the other two go in corners. Frequently, one of them, sometimes two, are on the floor (carpeted). I have a piece of carpet that I bring to gigs just in case I have to leave it on the floor on breaks.
  5. jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I've got the Meisel stand, it looks more like a guitar stand than other types you may see. The only complaint is that if you have the pin out more than a couple of notches, it won't rest in the arms at the bottom without leaning the bass back, which takes up quite a bit of floor space. Many places sell them, but I would strongly recommend buying one from (All Hail) Bob Gollihur, who is a valuable resource for all things bass and highly regarded by many.
  6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I don't understand that, Chris--

We may need to call for some moderation on that!!

And thanks for the plug, Jim - ever since finding the MBS stand I left my old one behind - it's a great stand. One of my basses graces the living room (though my wife occasionally disagrees on the terminology) and the remainder are usually propped up in corners, face first with only the upper bout corners touching the wall. I'll often use a foam sheet or a piece of light cardboard between the bass bout and wall to avoid marking either.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

That's Kentucky slang for "eating in bed while typing in internet site links".

* cricket*

Wow, whoever created that "badbadbadbad puns" thread created a monster....
  8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I keep mine in the corner with the shoulders resting against the wall. I wouldn't put the front facing out as it would be a lot easier to bump the bridge while passing by.

I have two cats and have made the following observations: If the case is on and zipped up tight, my littlest cat (queen of the domain) loves to climb to the top and survey her kingdom. If the bass is naked or the bag is left on loosely she won't climb or fuss with the bass at all.

A hardwood floor is the best to law down your bass. Carpeting can be treacherous as the loops in the fabric like to snag worn wood. Concrete is like a large, fixed piece of sandpaper.
  9. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    thanks, guys!

it seems the corner is a popular place for a bass! that is where mine will stay for now. i can see a stand from bob g. in the near future, though.

one more question- do you make sure it is a corner with walls that are on the inside of the house? my chosen corner has one inside wall and one outside wall. the bass does rest against a chair molding midway up the wall, but the outside wall does feel a bit cooler to the touch. will this temperature difference pose any problems?
  10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I wouldn't worry about it unless outside temperatures approach absolute zero. I actually prefer the corner over a stand. I've owned a few stands over time and they invariably become garage-based test-plots for iron oxide experiments.
  11. Temperature variation does not affect basses as much as humidity changes
  12. I hated putting my bass in the corner. Anytime anyone would walk towards that end of the room I'd hear it rub from the vibrations. It left a bunch of marks on the wall and even slightly damaged the finish in one very tiny area. I left it on the floor a lot but those also posed its difficulties. My wife suprised me with a Meisel stand last year for my birthday and I 've used it ever since (only leaving the bass on the floor when I know I'm coming back to it relatively soon). The stand is extremely sturdy. I've never had any worries about it.

Also I love that it has the padded hook on the back to hang my bows from.