Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now I can OFFICIALLY talk about the Pontiac GTO

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Jan 6, 2003.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    PONTIAC UNVEILS 2004 GTO SHOW CARS
    LOS ANGELES -
    [​IMG]
    Giving the public its first look at the rebirth of a legend, Pontiac, General Motors' "excitement division," introduced show car versions of the 2004 GTO to audiences at the Los Angeles Auto Show and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The production version of the GTO will be available in Pontiac showrooms in late 2003.

"The public's interest in the GTO has been everything we hoped it would be, and more," said Bob Lutz, GM vice chairman of product development. "This car is a strong statement from both Pontiac and GM that we are determined to re-energize the car market with vehicles that command the customer's attention and excite their senses."

Pontiac plays an especially large role in this strategy in the 2004 model year with three new product launches. The new Grand Prix debuts in the spring and the V-8-powered Bonneville GXP will bow in early 2004.

"The GTO is really the 'exclamation point' on the new Pontiac line for the 21st century," said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager. "Together with the Grand Prix and the Bonneville GXP, the GTO will help define the evolution of Pontiac with fresh, contemporary styling, high performance excitement and exceptional driving characteristics."

Show car styling, production performance
    The introduction of the show cars comes only seven months after GM announced it was bringing back the GTO. "The speed to market with the new GTO demonstrates GM's global product development capabilities and our renewed focus on dealer and customer enthusiasm," Lutz said. "This latest GTO will carry on the proud tradition of a legendary line."..

..Under the hood is a specially tuned LS1 5.7-liter V-8 aluminum-block engine currently estimated at 340 horsepower @ 5200 rpm, 360 lbs.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm with an appropriately tuned Pontiac exhaust note. While sharing the same basic engine configuration with the base-level Chevrolet Corvette, the LS1 engine in the GTO has been modified with a high-lift camshaft and increased airflow induction to create greater horsepower and low-end torque than the Holden Monaro to address the needs of U.S. drivers.

All that power is mated to either an electronically controlled Hydra-Matic 4L60-E four-speed automatic transmission or the six-speed, close ratio manual transmission available on the Corvette ZO6. Both transmissions feature the same low-geared 3.46 final drive axle ratio in a rear-wheel-drive configuration to maximize off-the-line performance, a limited slip differential, and a three-channel traction control system designed to help enhance vehicle control.

Although performance testing on the vehicle has not been completed, the production model GTO is expected have a zero-to-60 acceleration time of less than 6 seconds and run the quarter-mile in approximately 14 seconds at a speed of 105 mph. The top speed of the vehicle is estimated to be about 160 mph.

Stopping power is supplied by power-assisted four-wheel ventilated disc brakes with a standard four-channel anti-lock braking system. Additional standard safety features include: dual front air bags, side air bags, three-point seat belt systems at all seating positions and an Emergency Mode, which automatically shuts down the engine, turns off the fuel pump, unlocks the doors and turns on the dome light any time the air-bag system is deployed.

Performance-oriented interior
    Befitting its position as a premium high-performance coupe, the GTO seats four adults in 2+2 bucket seats. Customers can choose between standard leather seats in black or color-coordinated to several exterior colors. In addition, the color-coordinated interior extends to the door panels and the instrument cluster.

A six-disc CD-changer with a premium 10-speaker sound system is standard, as is cruise control, a multi-function driver information center, keyless entry system and a host of other features that enhance the driving experience.

Strong heritage
    The original GTO inspired the term "muscle car" when it debuted as a high-performance option on the 1964 Pontiac Tempest. Though originally only scheduled for 5,000 units, more than 30,000 Tempest GTOs were ordered in 1964 alone. Before the GTO ended its production in 1974, more than 500,000 were sold.

"We considered bringing the GTO back a number of times, but we never had the right product," said Myers. "We knew it had to be a V-8, rear-wheel drive and offer outstanding performance, but, until GM's leadership team looked at the Holden Monaro, nothing really fit."

Now that the auto show circuit is in full swing I may post some more reports and pics.

Peace,

James

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    So... when is the give away??

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    My office is within twenty yards of the office that John Z. DeLorean (the guy responsible for the original GTO) occupied when he was the head of Pontiac Motor Division.

Peace,

James

ps - no white powder jokes please. That was in his POST GM career ;)

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Sometime after I wear out the first set of tires.

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Cadillac Concept Car.

[​IMG]

Line up 1,000 ponies and say "giddy-up".

DETROIT - The Cadillac Sixteen is classic automotive seduction with the panache of Cadillac's ultramodern design.

In form, power and opulence, the 2003 Cadillac Sixteen embodies the timeless qualities of an exceptionally luxurious super-sedan with its sleek, gemstone appearance. The rear wheel-drive Cadillac Sixteen brings forth the exclusivity and grandeur of the custom-built Fleetwood coach cars of the 1930s for today's generation of exceedingly well-heeled customers of discerning taste.

"The Sixteen is a modern interpretation of everything that made Cadillac the standard of the world and can again," said Robert A. Lutz, GM vice chairman for product development and chairman of GM North America. "It's a reminder of a glorious past as well as a progressive statement.

"Cadillac's tradition is rich, but in the next several years it will be introducing vehicles as solid, dynamic and beautifully designed as anything it's ever done. And Sixteen is a harbinger of this new era."

Sweet V-16
    The name speaks to the car's powerful 16-cylinder, 1000 horsepower engine and Cadillac's heritage as a maker of fine luxury automobiles. Cadillac's reputation grew exponentially during the '30s in no small part because of the development of the automotive industry's first V-16. The Cadillac Sixteen's grand exterior proportions create an unparalleled presence; its splendid interior is meticulously handcrafted and urbane.

"The Cadillac Sixteen proportions were crafted with great attention to detail and homage to classic design," said Brian Smith, the Cadillac Sixteen's exterior designer. "The Cadillac Sixteen evokes an era when luxury cars were hand-built."

General Motors' designers drew extensively on the traditions of the coachbuilt era in crafting the Cadillac Sixteen, employing the distinctive talents of leading artisans for the upholstery, instrumentation, interior wood and metal elements, and aluminum body panels.

As an exterior statement, the Cadillac Sixteen's proportional composition is bold. The aluminum hood is long, giving the Cadillac Sixteen tremendous dash-to-axle dimension; the wheel arches were designed to accommodate the beautiful 24-inch polished aluminum wheels. The four-door hardtop incorporates an all-glass roof and is without B-pillars. Crisp-edged lines of the midnight silver aluminum body panels accentuate the Cadillac Sixteen's striking appearance.

Even the engine compartment, with its sculpted design, has drama. With dual panels hinged about a center spine that runs the length of the expansive hood, it makes an event out of opening the engine bay. The hood panels are power-operated.

"The engine bay really pays tribute to the V-16," said Wayne Cherry, GM's vice president of design. "It's like a setting for a diamond, clean and simple. The under-hood was designed with the same care and attention as the interior.

"The interior is a pure expression of design," said Cherry. "Premium materials in luxury refinement are fine woods, precision-cut metals and crystal. They've all been combined and balanced in harmony in the Cadillac Sixteen."

Warm luxury, contemporary style
    The interior theme is evocative of the posh accommodations of 1930s-era Cadillacs, but with contemporary style. For instance, the dashboard features a center-mounted Bvlgari clock. The hand-stitched, Tuscany leather upholstered seats nestle the occupants. The right rear seat features power adjustable slope to recline like a chaise lounge. Warm, hand-woven silk carpets the floor in a light cream color that matches the leather upholstery. The dash, door panels, and front and rear consoles are trimmed with walnut burl veneer inlays.

"The lighting is architectural, enhancing the mood and desirability of the Cadillac Sixteen's interior space, complementing its shapes and colors," said Eric Clough, interior designer. "Technique combines with technology for a sophisticated, pampered ambience."

Meanwhile, the custom-designed crystal on the cluster dials offers subtle cues of the Cadillac Sixteen's precise engineering, elegance and craftsmanship.

One thousand horses
    While GM designers drew inspiration from the ultra-luxury edan's ancestry, the Cadillac Sixteen is thoroughly modern in its powerplant and technological content.

The Cadillac Sixteen's 32-valve V-16 concept engine displaces 13.6 liters and is mated to a four-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission. The engine features fuel-saving Displacement on Demand technology, debuting in 2004 on some 2005 GM models, which shuts down half of the cylinders during most driving conditions and automatically and seamlessly reactivates them for more demanding conditions, such as brisk acceleration or load hauling cylinders when the driver needs the engine's full power. The engine produces 1000 horsepower and 1000 lbs.-ft. of torque.

The extensive use of aluminum components and structure provide substantial weight advantages. The aluminum-steel chassis employs high-arm SLA suspension up front and independent semi-trailing arm suspension in the rear. Four wheel steering enhances the Cadillac Sixteen's maneuverability. The front and rear brakes are six-piston calipers with 16-inch rotors.

Electronic amenities include a rear-seat DVD information system, Bose sound system, and the fifth-generation OnStar in-vehicle safety and security communication system. The head and tail lamps feature LED technology. All told, the Cadillac Sixteen is an ultra-luxury automobile of the first order.

"This car offers premier refinement and craftsmanship," said Cherry. "Its ultra-contemporary technical detailing is evident throughout. "The Cadillac Sixteen is befitting of the great Cadillac tradition as the standard of the world."

6. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    Oh MAN!

When I was a kid I had a 1969 GTO convertible. I dumped almost 9 grand into the restore of it back in '82. It was red with black interior and top SHE WAS SOOO SWEET! 400 small block Turbo 400 trans with a shift kit man I could go on and on. I love GTO's I can't wait to get a chance to look at one of these new models up close. Let's hope they truly turn out to be the 21st century equivalent of the original monster!

7. Not bad.. I own a 1972 GTO (well its a Le Mans with the GTO option). I have to say when I first saw the pictures of the GTO concept a few years ago I though "oh no they're going to destroy the GTO". I figured it would have front-wheel drive and a 6 cylinder; this really isn't that bad, in fact I like it. I'd still rather have my 72 though :D

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So with all cylinders firing, that Mad Caddy (not the band) would get, what, 5 mpg? :D

Still, being able to say "Hey, I have ONE THOUSAND horsepower under my hood" is well worth it. The real question is: Can Cadillac's current age bracket survive a 1000-hp fueled acceleration?

oy yeah, and gto = omg

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Rear Wheel Drive and a V8, thats a good thing, but
    105 mph in the 1/4 mile should equate to a high 12 second pass. Let me test drive it and see what I can do with it.

10. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I WANT IT, I WANT IT, I WANT IT...WAHHHHHHHHH *sniff*...Ok, now that I have my temper tantrum out.....

THAT CAR IS SAWEET :D

11. Give me a cherry red 69 GTO over that new one anyday.

Park it right next to my 76 Firebird Esprit. :D

12. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How about 1500 horses......

14. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN

Holy crap batman!!!!

I am at a lost for words....

ok just one

NICE:D

15. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    When does the Detroit Auto Show open to the general public? Haven't been there in a while; liked to make it down there again.:)

16. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I think it opens this weekend. I hope I'll be able to make it this year, I've never been there.

17. Well i think it is teh most awesome car ever to be made in my country.

U mentioned that it has more power than our monaro but this year they are releasing teh monaro that won teh 24 hr race beating porsche lamborghini ferrari and a host of other cars. Not only did it wint eh race but it had teh fastest lap time. i think it is 5.7 L and 350Kw top speed is 310 Km

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yeah, I think it opens to the public either Saturday or Sunday. I'm thinking Saturday is the Charity Ball, then Sunday the opening. Take a camera and lots of film.

Peace,

James

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I certainly wouldn't turn down either of those high horse toys (GTO or Caddy) down, but I manage to have plenty of fun with a wee 140 ponies...
    [​IMG]
    ...just ask those Vipers I eat for lunch in SCCA Solo II racing :D

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I should have noted for the sake of clarity that the info I posted above for the GTO and the Cadillac Sixteen are from official press releases, not my words.

Codeine, I'm sure you're right about the race prepared cars, but the showroom Monaro will be somewhere in the 310 - 320 hp range (can't remember the conversion to Kw). The race car has significantly less breathing restrictions than the showroom car. We had to fight backpressure issues to get the full 340hp for the GTO.

Peace,

James