1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Now I don't hate Chromes so much! Alt. tuning question also

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by owensea777, Aug 11, 2007.

1. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    After being extremely pissed about the super high tension on the flatwound Chromes on my ABG, I fixed 'em. I basically pulled each string out in the middle, loosening them and making them flat from normal tuning. The only one I had to de-tune was the G string, because I was afraid to pull it out so much. Now, the strings are much looser and I was able to play for a solid 45 minutes and pull off some mad chops. Don't worry, I didn't hurt my bass.

On my tuner, it reads a little past halway in between the flattest a note can be and still appear as E, A, D, or G on the tuner, and right on the money for E, A, D, and G. Closer to on the money, but still just a little past that halfway mark. Here's a visual example, with the 0 representing where the strings are tuned

flat as can be.............halfway......................perfec tuning
    -..................................-....................................-

Sorry for all the dots, but you can't just add spaces for some reason
    -Do you think I have tuned the strings to Eb, Ab, Db, Gb? If not, how would I go about doing this?

-What other alternate tunings do you guys suggest that make each string looser from normal tuning?

2. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Not sure if I posted in the correct forum...mods feel free to help by moving

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Why don't you get a lighter gauge set of Chromes if you need to play that fast and can't manage it now?

Otherwise, you just tune down to where you want and either:

a)get good at transposing, or

b) get the rest of the band to tune down, too. Many bands tune down a 1/2 step, but the people you play with might want a better reason than to make it easier for you to play your Chromes.

Q: Does your tuner not display half-steps?

4. If your tuner doesn't display half steps, finger the first fret of each string and pluck it, and see if it shows on your tuner as E, A, D, G. May not be the proper way to do it, but it works as a quick double-check.

5. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Ah, that's a good idea. I would get new strings but I'm po.