Now I Feel Even More Stupid Than EVER

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey guys, it's official. I'm a failure. Yep that's right, I failed out of college. I'm now forced to take a semester off. My roomates are going to have to find a roomate last minute, I don't know what they are going to do. I just feel that I've let so many people down. So if your going to college you crazy kids out there, DON'T **** AROUND. Get **** done. In the words of my guitarist friend who failed out of college and didn't come back, "If you have the option of, I could do this thing or sleep, do the thing."

2. Sorry to hear that man!!!!

I failed maths in second year at Uni. Then failed the resit 'cos I got a summer job. Fortunately I just carried the subject into 3rd year and passed!!

But yeah, I'd re-iterate the 'do the thing'. I'd have been better off if I'd listened to that pearl 15 years ago!
  3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    how the heck did someone with such a capacity for the profound (unmatched but for his eloquence and perspicacity) fail out of college?

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    oh, and good luck with your life...and stuff, 'matt.

remember: if you have the option of, i could do this thing or go on talkbass, do the thing first.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Matt, you seem really cool, I'm not busting your balls, so please don't take this wrong.

What immediately comes to mind is that if you spent as much time studying as you do on Talkbass you may have faced a different outcome.

Then again, I know nothing about your study habits, etc, so I may be making a horribly inaccurate judgement. Just some food for thought.

None the less, good luck with life ahead. There are much more dire fates than failing college....keep your head up.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

..but the path can be thorny. When the failure is your own, OWN IT!

Your future paths can be clearer from living through this defining moment.

Life is tough, but you can make your way, Id say get back at it and don't let it inhibit you to take chances in the future.
  7. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I was in the same boat as you. I'm finishing my semester off right now and starting classes again in January. It's going to be hard to get back into that routine again.

Good luck.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Okay, maybe I missed something. Did you die?! Did I miss the funeral? Get your arse back up on that horse mister! Rethink, regroup, and retry! I'm pulling for you bro.
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    stupid is as stupid does, my ma always told me.
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I thought your mom always told you, "Stop touching yourself there when company is around, Dear."
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I thought it was "Don't touch the dog in his pleasure places."
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No it was "Don't do that to the cat, dear."
  13. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Hey Matt, I feel your pain. It happened to me... twice. I even had an athletic scholarship which was nearly totally wasted. I eventually enrolled at a Junior College and earned a scholarship at a different school, but I nearly ****ed up a golden opportunity which most people do not get. I finally decided to turn my lazy-*ss ways around when it hit me: Most of my friends in college were from the ghetto. They had nearly nothing. They were never provided with the bennifits of going to a good high school, they had no money, and most of them came from highly disfunctional broken homes. 99% of those guys realized what I did not. They had a tremendous opportunity to get what most people dont. They didnt take anything for granted. I don't know you or your background, but there are millions of people that would kill for the opportunity to go to college. In my case it took me 3 friggin' years to realize that I was acting like a spoiled little brat.

Sorry if it sounds like I am preaching, but I have serious regrets about the way I maximized my opportunities back then. If I had any advice, it would be to not sit around and sulk about the whole thing. If college is the way you want to go (its not for everyone) enroll in a Junior college and atleast earn some credits that you can transfer when you re-enroll.

Peace, and good luck.
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, just so you guys know how it happened. I was on academic probation because I failed a music class last semester. He was taking things slow with sheet music etc, but then he started throwing chords, scales, and everything else at me just to cram everything he could in the semester. I couldn't keep up, so I failed. (Boy, now I understand that stuff, I should have taken the class now.) Then, this semester, I took a computer class as a blow off class, because this was my first art semester. I had drawing, 2d design, and art history. I started failing art history because of my mild A.D.D. But I decided to just go with it. Then by time I got my ass in gear, I had a job, and it was early, then right after that I had computer class, so I was total out of it. So I passed Art History and everything else, but then this computer class snuck up on me.

Just so you guys know, this isn't the end. I was just suspended. I can come back in a semester. Lets just say I learned a whole lot this semester, it's been an expensive lesson, but a valuable one. So this upcoming semester I have off, I'm going to get a full time job, save up, and come back ready to go. I've got a lot of catching up to do. When I come back, I'm going to probably take sleeping pills when I want to sleep and caffine pills when I want to be awake. Kinda like what they did to the actress who played Dorothy in Wizard of Oz. I just pretty much needed to vent. I'm probably going to go back into my depression, I can feel it starting already. My parents have been really nice to me ever since they've discovered what a fragile pansy ass I am, so they are being real nice. All I want to do is be a photographer... or a rockstar... or a stuntman. It really sucks because everytime I get a bit of that christmas cheer, I think about how I failed and I just get bummed, it's not going to be a very merry christmas for me. :(
  15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Just make sure you get back in as soon as you can. I know people from college who waited "an extra semester" and ended up never going back. I mean, none of them are bums on the street, or anything, but the longer you wait to go back, the harder it is to go back.

And, all is not lost--my friend was on academic suspension, and he ended up going back, getting his degree, and is now making good money at a job he enjoys.

So, learn what you can from it, and move forward. That's all you can do, anyway.

Oh, and don't shake JT's hand unless you've SEEN him wash them recently. ;)
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Actually the guitarist in Pizzlestains Deluxe is one of them (the one I quoted). I'm actually going to try to talk him back into going again. He could probably go for free. He got kicked out of his mom's welfare house and he's got a job at a radio station earning minimum wage. He's coming up friday to record stuff, I'm going to talk to him.

17. Don't blame it on the A.D.D man! I've got the same thing. Just take your pills and go. I actually like the medicine. If I'm riding to school, and I suddenly realize that I forgot the pill, I think: "Oh crap, the whole day is gone."

Stupidmatt, just a question.
    When your not on medicine, do you sometimes find it hard to multi-task? Like when you look at your whole day ahead of you and, start panicking because you can't sort anything out? That's how I feel when I'm off it. Just wondering if you get the same thing.
  18. This is no great advice, but here's what I did: I started out at M.I.T. (engineering school) right out of high school. I didn't hit the books enough, spent my time on unrelated subjects, the yearbook and especially photography. I got the same deal as you, academic probation, suspension, etc. I transferred to RISD (art school), became a photographer, and I've been doing that for more than twenty years very happily. If you have a strong drive towards a different study area, maybe you should follow it. If you don't feel motivated to be in school now, working for a while will help you get very motivated! Good luck!
  19. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    Hi Matt, It's nice to meet you.

It's nice to know that there are "people" in this world :) **sigh** I dropped out of Bible College... Failed out of 3/4s of my classes at NSU of Louisiana, Failed out of 1/2 of my classes at Tyler Junior College (in Texas) and got kicked out of the Air Force after I had a pity party b/c I wouldn't forgive, and trust people.

Now, during this time, I've had "issues" watching my grandpa die of cancer, "unconsentual sex" (I'm getting sick of the reactions of the other word), and pretty much treated like garbage.

**sigh** BUT I'm going back to College! (gosh darn it!)

Failure is a chance to begin again, a second chance.

Don't let "it" get to you! When you start feeling the "heaviness" Get up...don't surrender to it! Life is a gift and the more we appreciate it and live... the more we get from it.

Drugs didn't help me. (I"m talking the legal ones)

Exercise, vitamins and "sonshine" does wonders for my soul.

Maybe that'll perk you up :)

Best Wishes