Now I have this 75 Precision neck... what body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deerfield, Jul 27, 2013.

1. deerfield

deerfield

Mar 25, 2013
    Italy
    I bought a maple '75 P neck, nothing exceptional but everything looks right and we bonded immediately. Now it's on an allparts jazz body, but I don't like this combo, feels cheap. I'd like to mate it with a proper body. What options? just to be clear, I like the P sound just as much as the J and the stingray ones, and I could make all of them work for me. also, I'm not at all interested in vintage originality. As a matter of fact, I quite like frankensteining basses!

1) a '70 vintage P body
    2) a custom made ash P in natural
    3) a custom made ash Stingray (I know someone who has the same combo vintage P neck and custom Stingray body and electronics and it sounds and feels and looks amazing)
    4) a modern P (cortesy by stratosphera...)

what do you think?

2. If it were me I would choose find a '70 vintage P body..

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Unless you are trying to make an actual 70s P out of vintage P parts I'd get whatever P body and parts you want. I'd lean towards option 2 myself.

4. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Epiphone style bolt on Thunderbird body .

5. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    I paired my 74 A neck with a highway one body. I'd go with option 2 because maple neck/ash body is a pretty good combination (to my ears anyway)

6. deerfield

deerfield

Mar 25, 2013
    Italy
    I have a soft spot for maple neck-ash body too, especially in natural finish.

The plan isn't building a perfect vintage 70 repro... I don't think I'll ever resell it so historical correctness doesn't matter. Howewer I find vintage, well worn bodies more comfortable and pleasing to play...don't know why, perhaps because I don't have to worry about dings and scratches. A 80s body will be fine too.

the Fenderbird idea is intriguing... but perhaps a bit too extreme! worth investigating though, my luthier could build it easily. and for sure I've never seen a fenderbird in the flesh!

7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have a '75 P neck on a beat up mystery body of unknown provenance. I am no purist.

8. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sounds like you want a P body, but I have a loaded MIJ Jazz body maybe for sale if you are interested.

Also, I will soon have a '78 P pickup for sale if you need it for your project and find a P-body.

9. deerfield

deerfield

Mar 25, 2013
    Italy
    thanks TimBosby, I'll check your offers when time will come.

true, I'm more and more drawn toward a p body.

Trouble is: I want a onboard switchable pre, and also a MM pickup in the sweet spot. But it's a sin, butchering a vintage body. So perhaps the luthier built option is the best, or a not-so-rare 80-90 body if I can find it.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021