Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now I know how Rip VanWinle felt

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Giacomo, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Do I have this right, Eurosonics and UltraLights are no more? Just when I found the Holy Grail?

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Correct. They aren't being made right now. You may want to check out the new Innovation Super Silvers. They are VERY similar in construction, and sound better IMO.

3. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    Check with these guys. They are the official US distributer of Eurosonics.
    http://www.jrmusicsupply.com/strings.html
    I'll second the SuperSilvers. A bit higher tension than the EUL's that I used before. They have a bit darker sound with a moderate growl and good sustain. They can't be used with a magnetic pickup like Eurosonics though, not enough metal.

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Who told you that, Adrian?

5. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Are the Super Silvers a pizz or arco string?

6. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    this is getting pretty interesting. can any Super Silver users make a comparison between them and Velvet Anima? or even La Bella Supernil. tone and tension?

7. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Do a search for Super Silver, you'll find at least a couple of threads that have gone into them with some depth.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well I shouldn't have said it that way. Rather, they aren't widely available at the moment. That is what I have heard anyway.

9. This is beginning to take the shape of another urban legend, the mysterious and elusive "Golden Spiral."

"...saw Charlie Hayden last night and he had his Golden Spirals on...as a matter of fact, he had an extra set just laying on top of his GK MB 115 E, which he always plays through...."

"....I'm a bluegrasser and that's all I play, nothing better than the Golden Spirals. If you are looking for that sound, go out and get youself a pair...."

"...My friend is a U.S. Customs agent, and he said that the FDA has banned the importing of Golden Spirals in an attempt to stem the spread of Mad Cow disease. I hear they are available in Montreal and Tijuana..."

" Quinn Violins said they can put me on their Golden Spirals waiting list..."

"...hello Lemur, I'd like to order some Golden Spirals, all you got...."

"dood, they stopped making them ages ago. however, we do suggest another similar string; the Eurosonic Ulta Lights........"

10. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    On Gary Upton's website, on the Super Silver page:
    http://uptonbass.com/catalog/produc...d/292?osCsid=d7a62bb69486677b64dc79a662941de3
    You can read this:

11. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    thanks Brent, but i had already done the search thing. if you only count DB threads, it only brings up one thread, besides this one. that's for "super silver" and "super silvers". maybe i'm missing something...?

12. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    That's an urban rumor. I know for sure that the factory which makes the Eurosonics (and other string brands ...) still produces them.

13. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Presto! A voice of reason... ;)

Either way, I think a major reason a lot of folks stopped carrying Euros in the US is because they priced themselves out of the market; its comparable, direct competitiors list for about $20 less. I also experienced what I felt was a bit of a QC issue on latter sets - I had NEVER experienced a broken string (and I used and solkd quite a few sets of Euros), but a few strings exhibited an incurable buzz. I was assured at the time that the problem would be rectified, and perhaps it has.

OK - so back the the SSs... I can't compare them to Anima, but can certainly compare them to Supernils... The SSs are fuller-sounding, more present with less of that classic Supernil "boing." They are easy on the hands with a very fine nylon winding on all strings, vs. the Nils' thicker nylon and silver round windings. The SSs exhibit a comfortable tension comparable to - perhaps slightly higher than - Supernils. These are pizz strings, not your first choice for arco. All in all, a very nice string for roots music or jazz.