Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now, i know this isn't REALLY bass related, but give me a shot here

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Apr 3, 2005.

1. I'm working with a (willing to learn) guitarist who I want to join my band, but right now he's got some playing issues. he seems to be pretty good because as far as bar/power chord playing he held up in another band for a while, but when i showed him some of the stuff my group was doing he seemed like he wasn't too quick. he prettymuch has powerchords (rock chording to say the least), pinch harmonics, and some shredding under his belt right now. now, the reason why i'm posting on a bass forum about this at all is I recommended to him that "You should learn how to play one string at a time, like a bass player, and then integrate the speed you have from that into playing power/barred chords".
    I'm thinking what he needs is a reintroduction into getting fluent on a fretboard, and he needs to work on developing melody on the lower pictched four strings on his guitar (i asked him to play something of his style and got a deer in the headlights look. in his other group the drummer did writing).
    are there any online bass (or even guitar) instruction books i can suggest to this self taught player to learn from?

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Burn a couple songs from a band that you want your band to sound like and give him the CD. Tell him to learn the guitar part(s). If he can't do it then he may not be ready to be in your band.

3. Yea, He sounds like another guitar holder. I don't know how old this man is, but in high school there are tons of these kids. You can find a lot of instructional books online at MusiciansFriend.com or at a local Guitar Center. Make sure it has to do with speed playing and not about chords, since it sounds like he already knows a lot. I would recommend a DVD since they are easy to play along with. You can understand things better when someone is actually showing you how to do it on screen. Try not to get something with beginner or basic in the name becuase most of them will only teach you chords and scales. Good Luck and if your guitarist doesn't take it seriously then i think your better off without him. If i find anything good i will edit this post and give you some names. :smug:

"I'm thinking what he needs is a reintroduction into getting fluent on a fretboard"

Got it! Get him Hal Leonard Fretboard Roadmaps DVD.

"Guitarists will learn how to solo and play back-up in all keys, all over the fretboard; play movable chords and chord progressions; play chord-based licks and arpeggios; jam or play melodies with the blues box and with pentatonic and major scales; and much more."

Or Complete Fretboard Logic System Box Set (DVD)

"The Complete Fretboard Logic guitar system at a special package price. Introduces the guitar's unique tuning and basic fretboard patterns, builds on this foundation with chords, scales, and arpeggios, and then allows the player to focus on expressing a chosen style."

Here's another, Hal Leonard Blues Rock Guitar Soloing

"This DVD features top-rated session player Mat Gurminator Gurman teaching one of the most important music lessons you will ever take, regardless of the style you play. Mat demonstrates the art of phrasing - the key to all improvised music. He teaches how to get the music out of your head and into your playing, so your solos make sense. He tells how to get a great blues rock tone and demonstrates soloing in the styles of Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Richards, Billy Gibbons, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton and Robben Ford. He also shows how to apply the blues scale to almost any style of music when you solo. Packed with licks and practice ideas, this DVD will help you develop your ear and continue to improve your soloing for months and years to come. Includes a lesson booklet showing examples in notation and tablature."

Another one... A Modern Method for Guitar - Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete (Book)

"Now guitarists can have all 3 volumes of this classic guitar method in one convenient book! Created by popular demand, this new edition of the method used as the basic text for the renowned Berklee College of Music guitar program is a complete compilation of the original Volumes 1, 2, and 3. Innovative solos, duets, and exercises progressively teach melody, harmony, and rhythm. Perfect for the serious guitar student and instructor alike."

Or if he does need to learn scales and chords... Getting Started On Electric Guitar DVD

"Over 3 hours long with 50 interactive lessons. Covers tuning, essential chords and scales, music reference, practice tips, rhythm techniques, play-along tracks with a band, 3-D fretboard graphics, instrument care, and more. Includes 5 languages: English, French, Spanish, Japanese, and German. Hosted by Keith Wyatt of the Musicians Institute."

Just go to MusiciansFriend.com and type in any of those names in the little search bar and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. Those are just a few of the many different DVDs and books. Take a look around, I'm sure you'll find something perfect. Sorry for the long post, but you gotta do what you gotta do. :smug:

4. ok, so give him some sort of refresher to the fretboard, but i noticed he could play fast; it's almost like because he is self taught, he never really sorta relized the difference between whole steps and half steps. i discovered this trying to get him to play some sort of simple melody on guitar, and he was struggling with applying what was in his "inner ear" to where his fingers should go. so once i kinda get him more fluent, how does one build on melody. by melody i'm talking "A rhythmically organized sequence of single tones so related to one another as to make up a particular phrase or idea." the kid listens to stuff like dimmu borgir and lamb of god and such. any idea of music that strays from atonality that can give a leading hand?

5. Well, you said "He was struggling with applying what was in his "inner ear" to where his fingers should go." So basically, he can listen to a song but can't tell what the notes are being played without looking at a score? Or he can't put his finger down on a fret and know what sound is going to come out? I just saw this thing advertised in Bass Guitar Magazine called The Perfect Pitch. It's a number of lessons to get people to recognize pitches from just hearing them. You really get to know about your instrument. If that is the case, then I would recommend this. For building on a melody, I'm sure there are tons of books out there. Look it up on Google or just go to a Guitar Center and ask the man questions. They know a lot. Sorry I can't be more of a help. As for the music, I would try to get him to listen to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Etc. If not for the learning, atleast for the sake of good music. :) Get some of their songs off of the Internet and look at how they combine certain notes. It's a cheap way to learn, but that's what I do.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    He needs melody that's not atonal in nature? Get him to learn show tunes, or learn vocal lines from popular songs. It worked for Jaco, right?

7. Nice, that should help a lot.