now I know what a midbass hump is...how to smooth it out?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mowburger, May 8, 2012.

1. I've been using a Carvin LS1503 PA cab as my main rig cab, and am starting to get annoyed with the midbass(120hz-250hz) hump I am hearing. In certain rooms it's pretty noticable, certain notes just jump out and the sound is a bit muddy at higher volume. I am only using an Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal (witch I love) and I found I can use the mid eq to find the offending bands and tone them down but, I feel the TH's Q for the mid freq isn't very narrow and takes some away that I want to keep + I love what the mid control does for the detail of the notes when slightly boosted @ 800-1000hz.

I was looking at getting something simple, small, and not expensive to deal with this midbass hump when I stumbled onto this Artec SE-PEQ Does anyone have this? All my other gear is "pro" gear is this thing janky at all? looks decent, and says it does what I want. It's small and very adjustable with all the parameters you can adjust.

Any opinions? It's cheap enough to try out, and if I don't like it, it's not enough $ to cry over.

Thanx in advance.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Not janky, I'd say.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I use the 8-band EQ from them and it feels like a solid pedal (metal enclosure) and does exactly what I need it to. No qualms about it at all.

4. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Only thing janky (?) looking is the numbering. Should be -5 to 0 at the top then 0 to +5 and the frequencies should be shown. But hey. Having a width control like a "real" parametric should help you. Or a bi-amped compressor would work maybe. (so you can compress lows or highs more or less separately) These are jury-rigged solutions in leu of a proper bass speaker cab.

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    If it does what you need it to do, who care's if it's 'pro-gear' or not. (an oft abused term IMO anyway).

6. @ Jimmy, cool thx

@ FMB, right on, I was using the MXR 10 band or a while and altho it is a great peice of kit, I would prefer a Para in this situation. No qualms is good.

@ BassBrass, Yeah I saw the #ing was pretty non descriptive, I can live with that. I'm not big on compression really, so that wouldn't really help. I actually LOVE my cab, for it's size and weight it sounds 1000X better than any normal "Bass Cab" after playing thru it for over a year I've found a slight mid hump in the response, which is quite normal. Accentuating this hump makes it more "Bass cabby" and smoothing it out sounds like I'm using a big studio monitor on stage.

@ GA, I need stuff thats solid man. I can't be messing with malfunctioning gear, or worry about some cheap piece in my chain going down on me durring a show. Remember those "Soundtank" pedals rom Ibanez that would break the second you set them on something harder than carpet? My guitarist has all good quality gear, except a Digitech delay pedal that acts funny with the pedal power, about every other show he has to wiggle wires and junk in the middle of a song. I do not want that.

Thanx all, I think I'll go ahead - it's pretty inexpensive, and it has all the parameters of a full fledged parametric, I'll give it a shot.

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Sorry nowburger, completely understand. All I meant was so many people in these parts mis-label equipment as 'pro-gear' which normally roughly translates as 'expensive' and/or 'boutique'. Not even actual professionals use gear as high end as some of this stuff people call 'pro-gear'.

Perhaps a better term would be 'road-worthy'.

Not having a dig BTW. Hope the new pedal works out for you.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021