1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

now I need help with my wireless router...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KSDbass, Mar 31, 2006.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    ok first, I would have posted this on the netgear forums but it won't let me log in. so here's the story. I got a new NETGEAR router, and it worked fine with my computer for a little while. buuut now my computer (which is wirelessly connected) no longer gets internet. I know it's only my wireless PC because my PSP gets internet and I'm on the computer thats hardwired to the router, so it's obviously something wrong with my wirelessly connected PC's settings. so my question to you guys is, how do I fix this? also, I would have called NETGEAR support, but I can't understand their accents, and I don't enjoy having to ask support guys if I can speak to an American...

2. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Check the default gateway on your pc maybe? Can you ping the router?

Can you just not get any websites to come up? Maybe DNS?

3. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    ok, I've narrowed it down to the fact that I need to manually put in the IP address, default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS server address, but what I want to know is, how do I get all of those?

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Can you not set your router to do DHCP?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Run ipconfig/all from a command prompt on your desktop. Copy the info down, and use it on your laptop. Make sure you use a different IP address though. :D

-Mike