Now I see the value of a Speakon.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Sep 19, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Funny story.

I was doing a gig last night. Right in the middle of a song, my bass cuts out. At first I thought that my instrument cable got pulled out the jack. I exaimined that and found it not to be the case. I looked at my power amp and saw the signal lights were still coming on, so I knew that I didn't blow that. I knew that I couldn't have blown all four speakers in my cabinet right there. I pulled the cord out of the active input of my preamp and put it in the passive - still nothing. I then walked behind my cab and see that the speaker cord is pulled out about a quarter of an inch. I pushed it in and gave myself a little shock. Sound started coming out of my cab again and all was well. :D

Luckily I was D.I.ed to the board, so I continued playing after my stage volume cut out, but I was scared as hell that something went kaput in my rig. I have a Speakon end going to my power amp, but the end going to be cab is 1/4 inch. I might have to invest in some dual Speakon ended cables. All of the vibration on stage actually loosened the cable end out of the cabinet's input jack.
  2. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Indeed. The lock on the Speakon connectors are good. But that isn't the only good feature: they also have a much bigger contact area than the old phone jacks, and the contact elements are hidden away so you'll never touch them (which means that they won't get greasey). Also you can more easily fit thicker cables in them.

Phone jacks were meant for telephone switchboards. Not for high power speakers.
  3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Sounds like you young whipper-snappers are playin' too damned loud! :D
  4. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    I run two double ended Speakon cords on my stack. From the head to my 410 cab, then from my 410 to my 115 cab. I originally had normal cords connecting everything, but once I spent the money and hooked these up, huge difference! aside from sound, it's just nice to have that "click" when you twist them into the locked position, let's you know that they're not going anywhere.