Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now I want a MTD USA, TBERS HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    MY gas is just about complete, I have one more bass I want to get, I want a fretless, and I want a MTD USA, my only issues is, I must let one of my basses go, I think it would be the Alembic Rogue5, but my one concern is this....

1: I never have played a MTD USA and I dont want to be sorry if I get rid of my Rogue and dont like the MTD USA :meh: there is one for sale here on TB, and I have been kind of drooling over it, it would sure complete my collection oc basses I have always wanted to have, well...........

I could really use some help from my fellow TBER'S, I am open to advice. :confused: :confused:

2. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Is there a dealer near you? If so, go check one out first hand.

3. My MTD has been my favorite bass for many years now. They are wonderfully made instruments. However... the tone variability across the MTD line depending on different woods, etc. is the widest I've ever experienced. I have a wenge neck, swamp ash body, maple top. I've played some maple neck and ash neck instruments, and they sounded NOTHING like my wenge/swamp ash. Not better or worse, but like it wasn't even the same model and brand of bass. Also, the 24 fret models have a different body size and neck profile. So... my point is, it's a difficult line of basses to buy sight unseen... I love mine... I've totally disliked a number of others I've played. I'd highly recommend (as stated above) somehow trying a few. On the fretless side, the walnut models are supposed to be amazingly warm, and the ash with ash neck models (there's one used on the Austin Bass Trader site) are very growly and aggressive.... very different.

Good luck :)

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Mike makes an amazing fretless - as a matter of fact he's making mine this month! :hyper:

We've had a bunch of fretless MTD's here over the last few months. They all sound different and, to Ken's point above, you really need to try a few out or work with someone who can help you pick a combo that will work for you. I have some personal favorites but, depending on what sound you're ultimately looking for, they may or may not work for you and your style.

If you have a specific sound in mind, shoot me a PM or an email and I'll try and help you work through a few options.

Thanks,
    Joel

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

So, where are you located? Maybe someone near you has one they would be willing to let you play.

Dan K.

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've played a 435 maple/Rosewood/ash that had super thick midrange punch (when eq'd a bit), and a wenge/tulipwood 535 that had an unreal B string, the lowest action I've ever played, and crisp zingy tone.

I've also heard Norm Stockton play 15 feet away, and he has the sweetest slap tone!

I do imagine you'd want to at least play one or two before you consider giving up your beloved Alembic for one.

7. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I am in Minneapolis MN. Thanks.

8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Well, that leaves me out - I'm in San Diego. Anyone else volunteer?

Dan K.

9. If someone buys me one, I'll gladly go there to let him try it out.... anyone?