Now I'm completely freaked out....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHack, Dec 10, 2004.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OK. I'm utterly freaked out.

I live in Columbus, Ohio. The north end, to be specific.

I know EXACTLY where the now infamous "Alrosa Villa" is, the site of the recent tragedy where Dimebag, along w/ 3 others were slain. It's in a really weird section. It's like a mini-trailer park & mini hut like houses,, surrounded by the city. A couple of miles in either direction, its like.... normal'ish.

Saturday night, my 15 year old wants to go out w/ a group of her girl friends to go see teeny bopper Jesse McCartney, who is playing at a place called "The Colesium". It's located in a "normal" part, of the city. This place is but a 5 minute drive from The Alrosa.

Now, I KNOW the audiences are DRASTICALLY different. Different venues. Different everything. But, such an atrocity, happening in such close proximity to where my little girl wants to go, has me completely wanting to tell her, "Sorry kiddo, no go".
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    1.) I cannot blame you for protecting your child
    2.) I'm second guessing gigging myself at the moment (just shock I'm sure)
    3.) I just caught the teeny boopers video on last night :bag: I was kinda digging it "Beautiful Soul" or some such
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Let her go to the show. If we interrupt our regular schedule just for the whackos out there, we'd never do anything.
  4. While it is unsettling to have this happen here in our home town, the guy who committed this was a poster child for rubber rooms. Thankfully, folks that unbalanced are few and far between. That security is likely to be extra tight because of this nut means your daughter should be safer going than she would have been before. In the end you have to go with what you are comfortable with, but I think she will be OK.

As far as the area around the 'Villa, most of that street seems a bit weird to me. :bag: The pizza place (Pizza House, I think the name is...) up the road was featured on one of the earliest 'reality shows' (something like "Real People") for a typo they left on their menu ("hot buttered broad"). They have moved across the street to the little strip mall, so the menus may have been replaced now.

The whole thing feels weird. It would be bad anywhere it happened, but just a few miles from home... The date being the anniversary of another musician's murder makes it weirder. Definately unsettling.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its not a whacko id be afraid of, its Jesse McCartney :eek:
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    McHack, makes perfect sense to protect your child. But EVERYWHERE in Columbus is a risk for guns. I play in every suburb, and there's violence EVERYWHERE from time to time. Dublin, Gahanna, Hilliard, Westerville, Reynoldsburg, WestSide, etc. etc. Its not the place, its the people. Where people go, there will be idiots.

I live in Pickerington, a quaint little "family" suburb. Coming home from a gig a few months ago, 3am, I stop at the gas station by my house to fill up and grab a gallon of milk. While I'm paying, a young 20 something guy comes in and asks to call 911, he's bleeding from the head, a small stream of red running down his face. He was pumping gas, someone drove by and shot a gun, and it scraped his scalp. This, in a rural FAMILY suburb.

You can't get away from people, and where there's people, there are idiots.
  7. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    I mean, shootings happen everywhere. Last week my degenerate cousin got drunk and decided to drive around with his 9mm Ruger to pretend he was living some gangster fantasy. The next day we're hanging at his house and I'm in the bathroom while I hear the gun go off in the living room. I bolt over there, he was sitting there pale-faced with the tv blown to bits. He was showing it to a friend that stopped by and pointed and fired at the TV when he forgot to take the extra round out of the chamber the night before. I hate him.
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its obvious why you are concerned, but you have to let her go and you have to keep on going too.
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I'm going to go the opposite direction here and especially in the opposite direction of my similar-aged peers and say that you're completely justified in keeping her in if you are not comfortable sending her out.

I don't think that there is any reason to change your life or the life of your daughter because of this one incident, but at the same time, it might have opened your eyes to deeper problems and things that you didn't really realize before.

I personally wouldn't care what everybody else said---it's me that has to answer for my 15 year old daughter's safety at the end of the day, not everybody else.
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Go with what your gut tells you to do. If you still don't feel comfortable sending her, it's your choice. Life does have to go on, however. And personally, I feel that every time we let our kids go out there is a risk involved. Whether it be to a concert, or to the mall, or just down the street to the grocery store.

It's your choice, but myself, I would let her go. And I do have kids of my own (although they are a bit younger).
  11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm with Ty.

"Girl, I 'm a bit freaked right now, I can't work this through
    and feel good. Give it a little while. "

I NEVER let my daughter go roaming around at 15, maybe
    we were a bit anal, but, hey, there it is, my job as a dad
    was to care. And sometimes that means saying no.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just remember that shootings arent confined to concerts.

Just look at the number of school shootings, and the number of gun deaths that happen in mall parking lots and at friends houses. It happens.

Its not living if you lock yourself in your home in fear.
  13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Notice that I never said that anyone should lock themselves in their home out of fear. I do not, however, think that going to a neighborhood that is known to be unsafe is a good idea, for me or for a 15 year old girl.

I honestly lived a rather sheltered life, and for that I am grateful. Many people would say that I've never "lived" because I've never been drunk or high. Being careful about where you go, who you are with, and what you are doing has nothing to do with living---it has to do with common sense. Sure, bad things can happen anywhere, but if you knowingly go to an area of town with a higher crime rate than the rest of the time, you can almost EXPECT something bad to happen there.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That wouldn't include this guy would it?

brad cook
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    McH - Your kid, your rules until she's paying the bills.

I agree with both sides, you can't live your life in fear, but being responsible for a child is a heavy burden, one which I cannot fathom not being a father myself, but I can see the weight of it from watching my nieces and nephew grow up.

Do what YOU feel is right for your child, don't let anyone else affect your choice.
  16. Send her to boot camp! :D Or not.

Is this really a bad part of town? If it's even questionable whether or no it be a safe area, I would say no, but otherwise you know that thing they say about lightning and how it never strikes in the same place twice.......well of course it's a load of crap, but wer'e not even talking about lightning, so you get the idea.
  17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi McHack - here's my 2 cents. Although, I don't have any kids yet, but here's how I'd handle it with mine, if and when they materialize. :)

That's actually not a bad concept (although the particular instantiation might be improved).

Longer term, my viewpoint is, that it's a bad idea to try to "isolate" one's kids from what's happening in the big bad world. A better approach, IMO, is to give them the tools they'll need to handle it. One such tool is the faculty of discrimination, the ability to make intelligent and wise decisions. Another such tool, is the ability to defend themselves against the randomness of people and society.

I completely understand and agree with the need to "protect" one's children from the vagaries of the real world, especially when they're young, and before they have the tools in place to deal with the wild world out there. Not knowing your daughter, and how competent you consider her to be in some of these areas, I'd have to agree that ultimately it's your decision, and there's nothing any of us could (or should) say to try and convince you one way or the other.

My effort as a parent would be, to do what's in my child's best interest (as distinct from what's in "my" best interest). Reality is though, that often one has to balance the various points of interest, for instance, protecting one's kids versus pissing them off. IMO, a good relationship with one's children is a valuable thing, and I as a parent would go out of my way to ensure that I take the time and energy to keep the channels of communication wide open, so when I have to impose rules and boundaries, I'm not perceived as being "too strict for no good reason".

Based on other things you've said McHack, in these threads and over in the Lobby and so on, it sounds like you're a good parent, and I'm sure you'll make a wise choice.
  18. Personaly as a 15 year old girl my opinion doesnt really count. I live in a safer place kind of both in seattle/tacoma and Rome, IT. My parents usually say yes if I am going with someone else, if not they dont let me go, but if I do go they make me call them when I get there, sometime during the concert, and when Im leaving the concert
  19. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    WHOA, I lived in Pickerington for years... BOTH of my kids still go to Pickerington Central High School. My daughter plays Euphonium/Bariton for PCHS. Small world.

Anyway, I wound up talking to her, & she understood why I didn't want her to go, & she was cool with it.

For the record, I live in a nicer part of town, & Pickerington is nice as well. It's just that you can these places are in freaky parts of town. As Delorean put it, the road where the Alrosa is pretty weird.

Also, they Alrosa had their first gig last since the shooting. All went well...