Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now i'm going to start using my ear...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    What kinds of thinks should i practice?

I'm going to do the ear trainer at musictheory.net where you learn to recognize the different scale degrees, for example major 6, minor 7, octave and so on... and i think they have a trainer for chords too which i'm going to spend some time with too...
    And at last i think i'm going to start learning songs by ear.

Something more i should add?

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Transcribe tunes.

3. Tompskij

Tompskij

Jul 23, 2005
    Sweden
    Learn reading sheet music and write down simple songs by using that kind of method.

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Everybody has good suggestions. Everything you do with music - with the probable exception of having your head buried in sheet music when you play - will help your ear.

It depends on what you want your brain to do once it's "heard".

If you want it to tell your fingers what to do, then play along with recordings - a lot.

If you want it to tell you what chord is being played, then develop the habit of calling out the chords to yourself when you're listening to music.

If you want to learn to hear intervals, play or transcribe melody lines by ear.

5. i dont know if this is what your headed for, but try jamming with someone with your eyes closed. have your guitar player say what key hes in, start there, and jsut close your eyes and dont watch your fingers. you can start anticipating where hes going, and it really helps build a solid groove. its awesome to have a good ear for that, and youll realize your much better when you open your eyes and can see patterns coming out. but before you make fun of me, try it. it works, i do it all the time.

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Really man, you've got 5 threads on just the first page of this one forum. It's certainly good that you have all of these questions but you should get a teacher! There's a lot of info in past threads too, and I do believe you could answer most of your questions better by looking through the responses to similar questions that have been asked throughout the history of TB