Now I'm Nervous

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lazyi, Jul 19, 2005.

1. lazyi

Feb 14, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Ok, I just got asked to play a Gig in Tawain for a festival. 10 day event with the band playing 15mins 4 or 5 times a day. Now I have never played with these other people before and I am not the best bass player. Anyway from the sound of things they seem like quite serious musicians, I told them what covers I know and they will come up with other covers, that I will have to learn in less then 2 weeks. They also say that we might practice before we leave, but if not we will have 2 or 3 days before we are on stage to work the songs out. I have been honest with them, and told them that they might want to get together to see I will work for them. I believe they are in desparate need of a bass player. Anyway on my part it will be a good experience, but I am worried about not practicing or playing songs with them before hand.
  2. Okay - sounds like it would be great experience - I would do it in a flash, BUT!

1. Can you read?
    2. Have you ever subbed?
    3. Are you ready to be challenged?

Answer no to 1 or more of these questions and I would suggest politely declining the offer.
  3. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I disagree. If you are playing covers you probably wont have anything to read. Just be upfront about your skill, and let them decide if they want you or not. I always say "Let them tell me I'm not good enough."

Don't sell yourself short. If you don't ever stretch yourself you will never get any better. It will be a lot of work if you aren't used to it, but thats half the fun :D

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You're probably going to screw everything up.

... :D
  5. You know some covers & they are going to give you a list of others. You have two weeks. Where's the problem? Be confident and play with confidence! You are the bass player who saved their bacon by rounding out the band which allowed them to play the gig! You (will) know the songs. You know your bass & have a great tone. Smile & have fun. Now go out there & kick some major Taiwan ass! :bassist:
  6. You haven't heard them either, they may only talk a good game. You could be more advanced than they are for all you know.

How much material, you're only playing an hour or so a day. If you only need to learn 1 hours worth of material, no problem. You can learn more when you get there....

Then this is your lucky day! Go have fun. Don't worry if you suck, or if they suck, its a great opportunity.

Just keep positive. If you start thinking you suck, you will. Make sure you know the basic chords, and listen for any distinctive bass parts, the "hooks" people remember, and make sure to throw those parts in. Think "learn the skeleton of every song" instead of trying to learn every note for every song. That way you can get by on all the songs. Its not about playing everything perfect. The goal is to avoid a train wreck on stage.

Once you have the "skeletons" down, NOW go back and pick up the subtle stuff, the nuances, the note for note if that's your bag, or do your version of it.

7. Remember, if you don't know a song, you can always turn down a bit and the audience probably won't notice anyway ;)

Personally, I think you should go for it. You've been honest with the band, and if they still want you to do it, then why not? It sounds like it will be fun, plus it sounds like you should have enough time to figure out the songs you don't know yet.
  8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    practice, practice, practice and you will do fine.
  9. lazyi

Feb 14, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I have been honest with them and told them I would do it if they were really in a bad way. But they haven't given me any songs to learn, I think it is strange cause time is ticking away. Anyway, I found them a Bass player who went to school for Music and can read etc... I think it would be a great experience, But as I see it 4 or 5 15min sets X 7 days would be about 72 songs to learn, if no songs were repeated. That's a lot for me,although if I worked at it, I know I could do it, but maybe not perfect. Anyway I put the ball in their court, In that I told them my skill level, I offered to practice with them so they could decide for themselves and I provided them with a more experienced Bass player. SO if they still want me after all of that, then fine I will do it, but I wish they would provide a list of songs to learn.

Anyway I will wait and see what happens.
  10. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
  11. Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    if it was me i would just make sure i got paid before the gig started.......that way if you do mess up all you do is embaris yourself infront of alot of people you dont know and prolly wont see ever again :D