Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

now is the time to overcome!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassbeast, Jul 15, 2001.

1. bassbeast

bassbeast

Jul 6, 2001
    Aren't you guys getting tired of having the bad rap of being a bass player? Everybody thinks that bass players support the group. IF they would actually try to master the bass they would realise that it can be just as complicated as a guitar. N E way, we should all band together and take them all out.

bassbeast

"chicken in a biscuit, wouldn't wanna risk it"

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    oh yeah, let me get my bat :)

3. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Let me put on my a$$ kicking boots and I'll be with you in a minute ;) . . . .

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    oh wait.... let me get some old E strings to whip the hell out of them :D

5. E strings????

Doesn't anyone own a low B of .140 or above???

I can see us fighting with some guitarist with their short .50....

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    oh sorry!, i play four stringers :)

but soon i´ll own a fiver so... you guitarist watch out! :D

7. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    who are "they"?

anywho...

For years I've been looking for an excuse to fit my fender with a bayonet... HAHAHAHA!

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Wait, let me get this straight...
    Are we going to beat up everyone or just guitarists?
    I need to know because:

The guitarists will act like they're tough until you get one shot in, then they'll fold only to tell everyone later that they kicked some ass.

The drummers won't even realize a fight has broken out.

The singers will be off trying to hook up or score some drugs.

I guess the logical choice would be to take the guitars out first. Good call. Let me know when and where.

9. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Who are "they"?

I'm serious because a good solution would be to avoid idiots at all costs. I know plenty of guitarists who appreciate bass, I now plenty of non-musicians who appreciate bass more than guitar (especially in jazz).

I also, unfortunately know plenty of stupid people who think that bass is easy. These are the people whose extent of knowledge of bass is little more than seeing Blink182 and Limp Bizkit on MTV. So they're hardly going to appreciate the bass properly. Therefore, I stay the hell away from MTV and never talk music with people who watch it.

10. what's wrong with bass doing the supporting? that's how i play. just be happy when somebody can actually tell a bass from a guitar.

11. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    i'm the furthest thing from a fan of blink or limp, but it's not as if those too bands are evil. In fact, mentioning limp to support your argument is kind of odd, because they actually sometimes have the bass doing a leading roll in their music. And not talking music to people who watch MTV is every bit as stupid as basing your entire music taste on MTV. The most dangerous trend i've ever involved myself in was the "anti-trend" trend.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hm, when I saw the thread title, I though it was another one of those "sex" threads...

What bad rap? Even morons recognize good musicianship when they hear it; and the ones that don't are easy to ignore.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    of course i´m not serious!

i actually don´t have anything against gu*tar players..... i just said "let me get my bat" :p

but the the string whipping is a good idea :)

14. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    As usual, I don't get it.

How many of you that seem to be so down on guitarists have one in your band? If they are so bad, why are they "tolerated"?

I played in the same band for nearly twenty years and saw more than my share of guitarists come and go. Some were *** ***** and some were great musicians in every sense of the word.

One of my best friends was a guitarist who hung for the whole ride.

If you have a bad experience with a guitarist, why not just say that [insert name] was a pain in the butt to deal with? Bassists are allowed to be individuals in thier own right. Who made the rule that guitarists can't ?

Harmony plays a major part in ANY band. Kill the social harmony and the musical harmony wont be far behind.

To start with, if your aspirations are to be the star of the stage, you have chosen the wrong instrument! YOU ARE A PART OF THE RYTHM SECTION! Caps are not meant to shout, only to emphasize.

If you are lucky enough to play with a group that gives you free reign in your choice of the bass line, that's great. most musicians(other than bassists) will let you know that your bass line is too busy if you make a habit of trying to be Jaco on every number.

When anyone categoricaly puts down a whole group of musicians, be they guitarists, drummers or horns, they appear to be the pot calling the kettle black.

Why does everything and everybody either have to "suck" or be hated if they don't play the same instrument or thier taste doesn't agree with ones own?

If the attitude that is shown by some of the posters is the attitude that is shown in a real life band situation, you are damn lucky that anyone even wants you in a band.

Rant over.
    Pkr2

15. It's not that we're down on guitarists. It's more about senseless violence and guitar players just make an easy choice![​IMG]

:D:D:D

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Go to a guitar forum, they don't even mention bass players.

This is all in fun. I for one don't really want to horse-whip guitarist any more than other members of a group. I'm glad there are Green Berets out there, but when I was a Ranger we used to call em girl scouts...etc etc etc. If you played football, the defense had an internal rivalry with the offense. It's not serious, it's just for fun.

Then again, maybe I should check out a Guitar board to see hwat they say about us. Now you got me thinking.

17. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    You make it seem as though it was some sort of animosity laden decisionon my part. Far from it. I would just end up getting frustrated when my friends had never heard of any of the Jazz or blues or Classical I was into. So when music comes up, I bite my tongue. I have very little to say about Limp and Blink that doesn't centre around degoratory remarkds surrounding Fred's "rapping", or the fact that I consider Blink 182 to be the farthest thing from a punk band.

I'm not involved in any kind of "anti-trend", and I'm not exactly sure what that is. (But I do enjoy www.antimtv.com ).

PS: when do limp allow a "leading bass role"? I've never heard it. sounds interesting...