1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Now is when I need $1350

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    ok, so I went to my local music shop and guess what I saw?

A Fender 1976 P bass!!! for only $1350!

All black with a maple fretboard. It was sooooo nice. It had a very hefty weight to me, but dayum! It sounded nice.:bassist:

It was is pretty good condition. It had some wear, but it's the kind of wear that looks good. Not beat up, just worn.

It definetly beats the road worn P, and J basses they got there. (I hated those things)

Now, if I had the money for it....:bawl:

2. So, uhm....Which of the local shops has this bass? Not that I'd buy it out from under you, of course?

:p

Seriously, I'm still looking at an '09 P that First Quality has. That thing is just PERFECT!

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    If you hit the lotto and go back in for it, you should really take the steps to determine that it is all original. Neck stamps, pots, etc. Paint jobs are often refins too. JMHO

4. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It was Jimmy's Music Center in downtown New Albany. I'm not getting it, so go for it if you want it.

5. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    start pawning my boy, i'd say get it. try whatever you can

6. Jimmy's? Never been there. Is it worth the trip from down here?

7. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It's a cool store. It's one block before you get to The Grand.

They carry GK. They have some NEO, RBX, and BLX cabs, and a 700RB-II right now.

They got the P and Jazz road worn basses as well. They really need to be set up though.

If I had the money I would buy that bass. Since I'm only 15, it's kinda hard to come across $1350.:p

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Man, I know your pain about coming acroos money when a teen. Its hard when youre not a spoiled mamas boy.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Bargian with Mom and/or Dad to wash dishes & vacumm the house for 4 years or sumpthin'.

10. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    "it can be my birthday AND christmas present"

11. Maybe sounds daft, but what about a part time job? You state only being 15 as an issue, but you have a pretty decent setup already, pawn it! :bag:

At 16-17 I was working 34 hours a week (while being at high school), getting in the region of £450ish a month (after tax). Was nice to have money, but still felt ripped off (damn you tescos).

Or you could always try and arrange something, see if you could borrow the money from your folks and pay them back maybe? *shrugs*

12. It's kinda hard for many 30 year olds to come up with a spare $1350 these days. Don't feel bad.

Pawn the Cowpoke? Hell no! I'd personally drive the two hours up to his place and slap him silly!

:D

Back in the day I started working when I was 13, but these days I think that for anything other than farm work you have to be 16. And in the current economy there aren't a whole lot of jobs available for adults, much less teenagers. That being said, he may well be working already but have other commitments for the money such as trying to buy a car.

Or see if Jimmy's offers layaway? A lot of places have started doing that lately.

13. I'll have to get over there today to check it out. What's the going rate these days for a kidney?

14. Not sure. If you find out let me know...I have a couple that I'm not doing much with right now.

15. Just throwing out some suggestions really :p . Heck, summer holidays coming up, he should go work on a farm or whatnot (how I don't miss that part of my youth).

And car? I mean come on . . . I'm sure the guy has some priorities! Bass or car? Bass and get the bus!

Layaway is a good idea, but don't you need to leave a deposit for them to hold it back, and then you have the issue of still needing to get the money to pay for it!

16. Now, if he played guitar he might be able to do without a car, but bass? If he wants to have any chance with the ladies he'd better buy the car!

:p

17. Oh, and make sure you watch the video to the end.

18. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Springs here, grab a mower and hit the neighborhood!

When I was a teen, bought my second bass (Aria Pro) and a few years later a Ric 4003 with "grass cutting money". Of course, the 4003 was only $800 then, but that was still a lot of money back in the mid '80s.

19. So true . . . well, no, never had that happen to me. I don't have a car and still get girl interest from playing bass. Win.

(And no, not the guitarists leftovers, they go to the drummer :p )

20. The car was why I didn't get into the bass when I was in high school. Bought a Corvette with lawn mowing money. In retrospect, the bass probably would have been a better investment... If you're really yearning for it, see what you can scratch together. With spring here, there's bound to be tons of yard work available. I've been slaving away in mine the past few weeks. Getting a vintage P as a reward for all that hard work would make the deal even sweeter. :bassist: