Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now I've gone and done it!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kronos, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I had just bought a 5 string Ibanez SR885 used from a fellow TB'er. When he sold it to me, he told me the only problems it had and was nice enough to send the replacement parts (the vari mid pot and the bass/treble pot) so that I could fix it.

Well, I opened up the insides, and saw spaghetti. So, I replaced the pots last night, and when I was taking the battery off, the negative side on the battery clip came off. No problem, it's only a couple of bucks for a bunch of them. So, today I go to radio shack, and got the clips, and I also bought a 9 volt holder clip so this thing isn't wagging all over inside the cover.

Ok, nothing bad so far, right? So I continue on,install the clip, I clean up a lot of the wiring by bundling, and then comes the time to install the holder clip. I new I was working with less than a quarter of an inch of wood to attach the clip to, so I tape off my drill bit, and drill perfectly with wood still underneath. Nice. I also get a screw that was too long, and I cut it to length (SO I THOUGHT!-I guess you can see where this is going). Then, I go to install the clip, and as soon as the screw is all the way in, I turn the bass over and notice I CAME THROUGH THE FRONT!! :bawl:

Now, it's not a huge hole, but it's DEFINITELY noticeable. I puttied the hole, and I'm waiting for it to dry. I'm going to get some touch up paint to touch up the spot that needs it, then I was thinking about CA'ing over top as a clear coat, then sanding flat, and then polish sanding.

Main question-Do you think this would work?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Biggest reason builders use epoxy or foam tape to hold these battery holders in.

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Hot glue works too. Man, that sucks. But at least it's not a Ritter.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    and I HAVE foam tape. I feel like such a moron.

It's all good though. It's not the only ding. It had a headstock wound that I'm also in the process of fixing, so at least it wasn't like I bought it new...

5. i would of left it in and made it a frankenstien bass.....

ok, just kidding, i would have been pissed...
    but seems like your hadleing it pretty well... this is the reason why im going to someone else to have them set up my bass.. lol.. im sure by the time i was through with it there would be holes in it everywhere...

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was pissed at first, but there's no use crying over spilled milk. There's a lot to be learned from this...for instance, the next time I get the genius idea to install one of those clips, use double sided tape or epoxy, DON'T DRILL!

Also, I'm learning how to fix dings and scratches, so if I ever want to go into repairs, I could do that as well!

7. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    if it's in an aesthetically pleasing location, why not drill the hole out to 1/4" and install a dummy on/on micro switch? this would make it look like it was intentional, while providing you an opportunity to use doubleback tape to install a new holder.

All the best,

R

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That's a cool idea!

9. When life gives you lemons....Make lemonade!

I like the way you think.

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's a great idea!! :hyper:

We'll see if i'm happy how the repair turns out. I'm already on the paint stage. Next will be the sanding/repainting stage, then comes the CA and the polish sanding...but I don't think I'll get to that tonight.

If it doesn't turn out like I'd want it to, I'm going to use your idea! (I just hope no one asks me what it does.)

11. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Not turning out too bad!! I think I won't have to put a fakey switch on after all!

If worse came to worse, I would've made a small control panel out of diamond plate, and have the knobs just slightly higher than normal...and it would've looked cool. I may still do that!