Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now that Acacia's defunct, any rec's for new fingerboard work?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wilbyman, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I have an Acacia Custom fretless 4 (neck thru) that needs fingerboard planing, but I'm actually thinking I'd rather have a fretted fingerboard put on instead. I'm from the upright world where new fingerboards aren't a drastic thing, but I'm not sure who to go to now that Matt is no longer making or repairing Acacia's.
    Any recommendations as to who could re-fingerboard the bass (fretted) well and not be tremendously expensive? (I believe Matt quoted me a price of $250 a year or two ago when I inquired)...

Will

Thanks in advance!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why don't you keep your board and have it fretted ?

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I was under the impression that because the bass is neck-thru, it would be difficult to get the fingerboard into the jig (?) to fret it...or so Matt indicated. But if someone thinks they can just plane the board a little and fret it, that's completely kosher with me. I did kind of have some interest in replacing the ebony board with a birdseye maple to match the quilted birdseye top/back of the bass.
    I heard a rumor some is now finishing all of the Acacia's Matt had laying around...any truth to this? Therein may lie the answer

4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Mike Lull

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I also read that the remaining Acacia parts were bought by someone, in order to finish the instruments. I thought that the last name was Kennedy and that they would be "Kennedy/Acacias." But - searches here and at TBL turn up nothing, so maybe my memory's off.

6. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    That's Justin Kennedy. His handle is modulusacacia. I don't know if he is doing work like you are asking for. Wouldn't hurt to ask.