Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now that I have my set-up....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pipes on bass, May 8, 2005.

1. As posted in here earlier, I'm a newb, I just got the Yamaha BB-414 with a Fender Rumble 100. I was wondering if people had suggestions where to start! What beginner books are good, should I start with simple tabs (did this a little to get a feel). Our sound is kinda rock meets country with everything in the mix. Love strong lyrics, but I rarely find strong lyrics with strong music, I want it all!!! I need tons of practice, but that will come, but from those experienced, what is the best way to start practicing. I don't want to just play other peoples music, but I don't have my own music yet either, should I just go thru a beginner book start to finish, should I just get tabs on music I like, or both! I'm thinkin both, but I would still appreciate advise!

:bassist:
    Pipes on bass :bassist:
    :bassist:

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    learn how to read score or charted music. the book i learned it from about 5 years ago is "accent on achievement" for bass. its got easy songs to learn and there are 2 more books for when you finish those
    link:
    http://www.americanmusiccompany.com/accenton.html

scroll down and find electric bass

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Moved to General Instruction, where you will find lots of threads on instructional books and videos.