Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now that I have new rack stuff..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Sep 22, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    What rack case (is that what its called?) should I look into to hold on EA iAMP500 (2 spaces i believe) and a BBE Sonic Maximizer (one space) ? Just want a cool spot for my rack stuff to sit on top of my cab, and to protect them from transportation beatings. :help:

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    SKB is always good. I have a RoadReady(that's the brand name not to be confused with Mesa's road ready cab cases.) and it's cool. Gator also makes good cases. Really any Gator, SKB or any flight case will work great. If you have money to spend you could get a Gator, or SKB shockrack but those can get expensive.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Don't get a 3 space rack. You'll inevitably want to add at least one more thing to it, at which point you'd have to buy another rack. Buy a 4 space or 6 space rack. Blank panels are cheap. Constantly "upgrading" racks is not.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i would recommend one of those odyssey rack bags that yo cuan just throw over your shoulder since your rack seems relatively light, just make sure they fit depth-wise.

5. sk8rboymc

sk8rboymc

Mar 28, 2003
    If you want to look sexy, ATA is the way to go.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In addition to the above hard shell rack case options, I recently picked up a Warwick RockBag, which is an inner hard shell with a padded case built around it, and I like it a lot. I wanted it mostly to protect my new (to me!) Audi, but it's a great rack bag all around, and I really like it.

You may also want to consider building your own rack case. I've done this a couple of times, and it can be fun. My 7-space rack saw a lot of abusive road use, and it took all we could throw at it. You can get the necessary parts from someplace like www.partsexpress.com.

Lots of good options out there.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    WHEELS! Get something with wheels. And 6u or more. Now I have to go eat my Jell-o.....

8. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    get something that has the latches on the lids, not on the case itself. if they are on the case itself and you put it on top of your cab, they will most likely rattle and annoy you to death...(been there, done that).

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    First off, why ON EARTH would you use a BBE with an iAmp?! :rollno: It just doesn't seem right. BBE stuff is OK for some things (I like it more in a PA than anywhere else) but with a really high quality amp such as the 500 you're talking about I think a sonic maximizer would detract from the hi-fi goodness that is EA, IMO. ;)

Second, I recommend the Odyssey Rack-bags. Very nice construction. You can take the inner shell out for a "nicer" more professional look on top of your amp. I had a Warwick Rocksak and it was very heavy and not very sturdy. The wooden inner shell cracked too easily. Not that the Odyssey is built like an Anvil ATA or anything either. But when you get into the heavier ATA's it defeats the purpose of having such a portable amp. Again, just MO. :cool:

10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Another good point if you aren't going the rack bag route.

11. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Can you pount out some that wouldn't have the rattling problemo.?

12. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    that road ready you showed would rattle, most skb and gator racks wouldnt because the latches are on the lid. i dont know who else, but usually its the plastic rack cases that have the latches on the lid.

13. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Thanks

14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I owned a couple of Gator SKB-styles. The latches were on the rack, not the lids. :spit: :ninja:

15. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    SKB's are on the lids?

16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    SKB cases have the latches on the lids.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member